Why is the first thing people usually ask when they learn a baby is born what their gender is?

How is that of any importance at the age of zero? There are no differences.

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel it's so they can use the correct pronouns when talking about the baby.

• I wonder when "they" will catch on.

• @Mesonfielde I agree. People don't seem to know that that exists. However, Dutch doesn't have a neutral pronoun, so I'd have to know the gender for it, which is dumb.

• Hungarian doesn't have gendered pronouns at all :)

However, people are still fairly sexist. I wonder how that happened.

Most Helpful Guy

• Because it's quite literally the only factual information you can gather about a lifeform that is not born yet.

What Girls Said 2

• Because I get curious.
    And mostly to see if I guessed the gender right.

And also to know if I should refer to it as he or she.

And to know which gender to shop for.

• It's more so they can start saying "He is due" or "She is due" instead of saying "It is due"... it's not an it. That and they can start planning... some people like to set up their nursery before the baby is born. Always go for gender neutral colors in my opinion, but some people might want a pink or blue room.

• Why not use "they"?

• @Mesonfielde I agree, "They are due" would be better. But the people I know told me people ask them "When is it due" and they don't want to identify them as an it.

• I guess I can use "it" and refer to the event of child birth itself and that solves this problem, hah

What Guys Said 4

• what else are you supposed to ask? "Is it retarded?" "Yes? Oh good, send it to G@G!"

• There are no differences?

Anyway, I guess people want to know the gender so they know what kind of gifts to get.

• See this is just wrong. You don't need to get a baby something pink because they're female. And physically they're different, yes, they have different genitals. Those are all the differences.

• @Mesonfielde Haha yeah. I'll save that one

• It is only asked to open the door for more conversation

• There are only two possible answers... which keeps conversation simple... whereas if you ask something more relevant like "were there any complications", or "is/are he/she/they OK/healthy", things might get a bit dicey...