Do you wash your hair everyday?

Are you supposed to?

Most Helpful Guy

• Nope. I use the "no-poo" method. Shampoo has a bunch of chemicals in it that strip your hair of natural oils. Thing is, since shampoo strips your hair of natural oils, your scalp compensates by producing more and more oil. Then you strip that away, and your scalp produces more and more, etc. So, if you use shampoo, your hair will get extra oily until the next time you strip it of oil.

I have long hair, too. It's a pain in the ass. I should ask a question about how much hair I'm supposed to lose. -.-;;

I use diluted baking soda and diluted green vinegar. The vinegar smell washes out. It's also hella cheaper. I do that around weekly. Really, you can tell it's perfectly clean for that long. It's also important to redistribute oil throughout your hair by brushing it twice daily. Which I don't do, because I'm lazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs3sWlFi8eY

• And no. You really don't want to wash your hair daily with shampoo. It's really bad for it.

• apple cider vinegar*

• Baking Soda is an alkaline and your hair is acidic, so you're fucking your hair up adding baking soda to the mix. You should really be using summat like aloe vera/honey water/clay/coconut milk, but that's just my $0.02.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, I don't. At first, I used to wash it with shampoo and conditioner every day. Then, I started alternating between shampoo + conditioner, and just conditioner, so I'd skip the shampoo every other day. Now I don't even bother doing that since it takes so much time and drying my hair + styling my fringe takes ages. I'd rather just sleep 30 minutes extra. So nowadays I just throw my hair up in a ponytail during the days I haven't washed it. I wash my hair 1-3 times a week, it depends. And it's never been softer. It hasn't felt greasy in like a year. Whereas my friends start complaining about greasy hair after like a day of not washing it. I remember one time when I went over to a friend of mine to get my hair dyed. I told her that I read somewhere that if you don't wash your hair for a few days, the dye will stick to your hair a lot better. She asked me when I last washed my hair, and I was like "oh I dunno, maybe like 5 days ago" and she gasped because my hair still smelled good and didn't feel greasy at all. Ha!

• Is your hair naturally straight or curly?

• Naturally straight! Which is why I have to style my bangs. They're sideswept and if I didn't try to swoop them to the side with my flat iron, they'd just lie flat on my forehead and get into my eyes a lot. I like giving them more of a solid structure.

What Guys Said 24

• They say it is bad for your hair to wash it everyday because you wash all the natural oils out of it.

• I have for years

• Yes, I do. I have head bath everyday, I mean just with plain water, not shampoo or something.

• it´s no necessity to wash hair at all so you´re not "supposed" to. some girls don´t wash their hair for a week or so. i guess it depends on how greasy your hair is. if you don´t think it looks or smells bad, you don´t need to wash it. it´s bad for your head skin and hair to wash frequently, because it dries everything out.

• I wash it every day, but I don't use shampoo every day, it's not healthy for the hair.

• What do you do then, just rinse it with water?

• Ok, I use styling products everyday though so to get rid of it at night surely I need to wash my hair everyday? I dunno lol

• @Trotters I use stuff like that too, but not every day. Sometimes I take it off, other times I don't, but when I wash it, if I don't use shampoo, it doesn't get off completely, which is good cause I don't have to add more product, and I have a different style.
      But if you wanna get the product off completely, you gotta use shampoo.

• No your not supposed to because washing it everyday gets rid of the necessary oils your hair needs among other things, and it can lead to drying it out as well as your scalp to, I wash mine 3 times a week.

• If I didn't it would be gross and greasy...

• No its bad for your hair to do it everyday

• I rinse it everyday. I only shampoo once a week, it's bad to do it more then that, strips it of natural oils.

• Yes,, because I hace naturally oily scalp so my hair gets greasy of I don't, but my hair is so short anyway.

• No you not suppose to but if ypu use a very mild natural shampoo that doesn't strip your hair of good essential oils, then its fine

• Supposedly not supposed to but I do it anyways.

• Yes absolutely. I can't stand not washing my hair daily

• I don't.. everyday isn't healthy I heard too

• Sorry to hijack this thread, but, if I wear a styling product everyday, then surely I need to wash my hair everyday to get rid of it?

• yes I usually do it everyday... if I don't my hair looks just awful

• I do, every morning.

• every second day bit i have be be care full i do not wish to dry out my hair by washing it too mch which can cause it to become dry and damaged but every ones hair is different

• I wash my hair twice a week with a clay, herbal infusion, and aloe vera 'shampoo' and ACV rinse.

• Can you give me a recipe? And will this work if your hair is straight and gets oily?

• It should work on all hair types, just maybe not the amount of times you wash. I have curly and coarse hair, so I use a lot of moisturizing herbs.

My recipe is simple:
      1 tablespoon clay
      3 tablespoons aloe vera
      6 tablespoons herbal infusion

You'll have to do your own research on which herbal properties would benefit your hair type and colour, but what I use is nettle, marshmallow root, rosemary, and tea tree oil.

• I have enough essential oils.
    Every day or second day.

• Every other day

• No, they say you should do it every other day. However, my dad washes it everyday, because it's a work requirement

• No you are not, every two to three days you should wash it.

• I wash it like once a week

What Girls Said 16

• I don't and you're not supposed to! It dries the hair and damages it, I know this by experience and my dermatologist told me that washing your hair 3 times a week is enough (however I do wash my body everyday).
    But then again my hair is not oily at all, so I guess it also depends on the texture/type of hair you have, if it's oily you might need to wash it more often!

• no i don't. you're not really supposed to.

• No. If you want strong healthy shiny hair, you should not wash your hair every day... it should be every 2 or so days... if you live in a very hot place and or work in a place where you get sweaty or stinky... then every other day... and ewk! D:

according to studies, if you wash your hair every day, you're washing off it's own oils that is produced in your scalp... so if you are showering every day, at least try not to use "shampoo" in every shower.

• Hey, so if I use a styling product everyday, should I shampoo it out or do you mean just rinse with water alone? Thank you.

• @Trotters It's best to not shower the hair at all for a day... but if you must, then it would still apply, even with product on it ( no shampoo daily) unless it's a very thick sticky product that will not come off easily? but then again.. if you're trying to protect your hair why would you use a product that's so hard to come off? ... A lot of hair products used to syle are very harmful... so it's not just how you wash your hair and how often... but also what you put in your hair on a daily basis to style.

• Hmmm i kinda understand lol. Thanks for replying

• Nope, every other day.

• no I do not!

• Every day to every other day usually. You're really not supposed to because it messes up your hair's natural oils.

• Nope, I don't, I read doing it is not that good so I do it 4 times a week.
    It's shinier now with less frizz.

• Not really supposed to but yeah, I do every day.

• No i dont wash everyday.

• I use conditioner nd oil everyday but shampoo every other day people with curly hair aren't supposed to was everyday

• Yes everyday, or every morning and night and after workout

• Doing that is bad for your hair, so no I don't.

• It's bad for your hair to wash it everyday

• i just shampoo and condition every other day lol :P

• Nooo dont do it.. your hair can be damaged, can get dry, and you can loose hair in the long run because of the pressure from your shower

• I have long thick natural (African American) hair. Washing everyday, my hair would be in terrible shape. Most naturals only wash 1-2 times per week to avoid damaging our hair. As far as supposed to or not supposed to, depends on you, your hair type, if you want to wash everyday, etc, but I think for the most part, everyday is a bit excessive.