Gender roles and religion?

i am christian and i was never super religious but i really am trying to get closer to god so i started reading the bible, but ironically, it just made me mad! the way women are seen as objects and as less important then men. i understand that this was a loooong time ago, way before things started becoming more equal, but it all just made me so mad that i stopped reading. does god really expect us to act like men are better? because that is just not happening with me there is noooo way i'd ever cater to a man or let him tell me what to do/how to act. is that a sin though?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, the bible was written a long time ago and religion comes from a long time ago. We have to take in consideration the historical context, in the past, when those books were written, this is how society worked, so it doesn't surprise me at all that the bible says these things. However, times have changed and today this is unacceptable, so you should "adapt" your religion to the current historical context in my opinion.

What Guys Said 7

• The truth is God did use women in Judges Rebekah (?) Was just one of many

• This is the problem I have with religions in general. The more people study the religious doctrine of their own religions the more they realize how fucked up it all really is.

• In your case I think you should have titled your question "Gender roles and Christianity".
    It really does depend on what form of Christianity you follow and which Bible you read.

• God of the Bible is incredibly misogynistic, racist, genocidal, etc etc.

Most modern day christians however do not take the Bible literally. So do with that what you will.

• The truth is a hard pill to swallow. God made man first, then woman as his companion. Women are similar to men in many ways, but God has established an order that men are the leaders, and women are to obey their husband. A woman's primary purpose is to be man's companion and bear children for him. That doesn't mean the husband is to mistreat or abuse his wife. But the idea of a woman going solo and leading her own life the way she wants to live it is rebellious and against God's will.

Much about Christianity is incompatible with the modern world. This being one of them especially in this feminist age. I think this age wss brought about by women being angry at men mistreating them or taking advantage, basically not fulfilling their duties as righteous husbands. But also because many women desire power as well, I'm sure.

• you can either keep on following the supposed 'God' or what he supposedly wants propagated by bunch of people or use your sense and reasoning.

• You were reading the wrong one

What Girls Said 0