Would you want to live in a country that only allows your religion or lack of religion?

• Yes
  • Maybe
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• No, I would rather not live in a country where the government oversteps it's boundaries with intrusive policies telling people precisely how to think and stripping them of mental liberation.

Most Helpful Guy

• While I am a proud atheist, I value religious freedom very much as a basic right and an important achievement of secular humanism. It belongs to any pluralist and democratic republic and society. So, having said that, I would love to live in a country that has religious freedom as a basic right in its constitution but where 100% of the society is atheistic (not because they're forced to be like that but because they receive a top-notch education).

• Atheism and top-notch education are not correlated :) just fyi

• "It is true that some famous scientists were religious but this doesn't really mean anything." But those who are not religious says a lot more? That's double standard. And yeah, religion was a dominent societal force back then, I can agree to that but you assume and say people couldn't "come out" to speak their minds or people were secret atheists when there is no strong or ample evidence for it. You're right, Albert Einstein wasn't "religious", but he wasn't an atheist either. And just because he was neither of the does not discredit his intelligence whatsoever. He was intelligence based on how his mind worked, and how he cultivated and explored his field of interest. Not because he was "atheist". The two again are not linked.

• Society is always changing, I agree scientists today do not conform to any particular religion but that does not necessarily cause them to be more intelligent whatsoever. And like you said before, we live in a very different time, to come out as religious and be a scientist right now when most of your fellow peers are not religious might "ruin your reputation".
      And also, I disagree that being religious makes you "less of a scientist" like turning to towards a simple answer to complex solution. The only people who give the answers of "Well its because of God" are priests and all those religious figures. If you're in a particular field now, no matter what your personal beliefs, you have to follow a certain scientific procedure which negates any superfluous conclusions. However I will agree that our beliefs stem from society, they are conditioned in that way. But that doesn't just relate to "religious values" that relates just as much to atheism.

What Girls Said 2

What Guys Said 9

• I want a country that respects both so everyone can be happy
    I r ember seeing something awesome in the UAE I was walking by the beach i saw women in bikini and a woman in hijab and no one looked at the other not even a blink they just walked peacefully thay scene I wish it happens everywhere

• Holy shit sorry to u religious people but if everyone in my country were atheist or ethical humanist… holy shit we'd make PROGRESS!

• I'd rather everyone be able to live together provided nobody gets special treatment for their beliefs. Basically as long as it doesn't affect how society works.

• I don't what planet your on... But it's an IMPOSSIBLE dream.

• @NJ_Casanova I wouldn't censor anyone. Everyone would be free to have whatever religion they like.

But what I mean by religion not affecting society is for example, not allowing churches/mosques/whatever to be tax exempt. Also, I'd do my best to make sure religion didn't affect how leaders are elected, like in America.

This ideal has nothing to do with your dream of wanting to find an attractive girl.

• I was just giving you an example of what would need to happen for everyone to get along, no one group getting "Special treatment".

"I wouldn't censor anyone", All the fighting in the world, is from groups "expressing/forcing, their opinions, on others", and that group gets tired of hearing it. It is human nature for a discussion between 2 people/groups, unwilling to see the other's point of view, to escalate (gets louder) to arguing than violence. Happens with everything- Domestic violence, abortion discussions, sports, etc.

I completely agree, with the BS about religous groups getting tax exemptions, there are richer than most countries. And still beg for donations, WTF.

My dream reference, was just express, how impossible it is to come true. a Sad reality.

• Yes, please take me to Atheist Island, could it be on another planet?

• 99% of all war/violence is done it the name of religion/beliefs... We're better off with none, as no one will ever agree.

• *cough* Soviet Union and China *cough*
      Religion may have it's flaws but governments that claimed to be atheist killed millions in their anti-religious campaigns.

• I'm an atheist but I don't think that just by being an atheist a person is intelligent. I'd rather live in a country that rewards intelligence, and by intelligence I mean academic prowess, above all else

• I'd be fine with a country with no organized religions of any kind, so I voted A).

• Any nation that restricts someones views is bound to be corrupt one way or another.

• I would love to live in a country where everyone is an atheist.

That would be a prosperous, glorious, amazing country.