Why are so many people guarded when another pays them a compliment? Has the world really got so cynical that many cannot accept praise?

Most Helpful Girl

• It's the way most people are built. We don't see what others see when they look at us. We're our own worst critics. So when people give us compliments, it can be hard to accept it because we don't really believe it.

What Girls Said 6

• Because most women will either assume that the guy is hitting on her, or they are so insecure that it is almost impossible to accept a compliment without putting themselves down.
    Guys on the other hand, happily accept most compliments, but will almost always assume I am hitting on them when I'm not.
    I compliment people all the time, if I see something I honestly like, I tell them. My friends appreciate it always, because they know that I mean it in the best possible way.
    I have complimented complete strangers on the street many times while passing by, and it is adorable to see how most of them light up and reply with a huge smile "tanks!!!"

• I don't think so, I think there seems to be two types of people: the low self esteem people who although would love for someone to think that about them, find it excruciatingly painful to accept one due to their modesty and own feeling of self worth. They think accepting a compliment is the same as saying you totally agree, so they try and direct it away so they do not look like big headed buttholes. You don't feel that way about yourself and you don't want others to think you are deceiving them.

"I'm not beautiful, please realise that I'm not because the thought of you finding out and me disappointing you is too much to bare".

The other people are the people with high self esteem, who enjoy the compliments and believe them all. They will often believe them when people are using them for ulterior motives too. Appealing to their vanity is a tactic they are familiar with and enjoy.

• i think it's because of the people that misuse compliments. they've created doubt in the hearts and minds of people who receive them. so when someone genuine comes along, it's not that the person doesn't accept it. its that they don't know whether or not u mean it.

• It's usually related to low self-esteem.
    I have troubles accepting compliments sometimes too, I just don't believe them.

• Yeah i am like what you want? What are you trying to say?

• sometimes yes

What Guys Said 4

• Yeah, I have noticed that too. Especially true with females. When a man compliments a woman, she either thinks he is lying, or assumes that he's hitting on her.

Men are usually more receptive towards compliments, but some do tend to be indifferent about it.

• I think this happens more with women, since I've rarely seen a guy dislike, or getting defensive when getting a compliment. I've seen many girls call a guy creep, or getting defensive in any way when getting a compliment.
    I don't know why this happens though, it's a simple compliment. You gotta have a huge ego and be super narcissistic to treat bad someone that has given you a compliment.
    It's so easy to say "thanks" and move on, but many choose the worse route.

• If the girl finds that guy attractive, she'll enjoy the compliment he gave her. If not, she'll find him 'creepy'. It's as simple as that! :)

• Yes. Yes it has.

• Because people have gotten weak.