Who is your favourite legendary Japanese wrestler?

Just like in America, wrestling is also very popular in Japan where they have their own wrestling promotions. We've all heard of names like Andre the Giant, The Rock and Hulk Hogan but Japan has legendary wrestlers too who are very famous in their own right in Japan.

Here are some choices, if you know someone else feel free to add them in the comments :)

Shohei "Giant" Baba
Who is your favourite legendary Japanese wrestler?
Giant Baba was kind of like Japan's answer to Andre the Giant. Billed at the towering height of 6'10 he was one of the tallest Japanese wrestlers in History. He was also the founder of All Japan Pro Wrestling.

Genichiro Tenryu

A strong heavyweight, Genichiro Tenryu was one of the first ever triple crown champions and made a name for himself in many a Japanese wrestling promotion including All Japan Pro Wrestling and the more popular New Japan Pro Wrestling.

Antonio Inoki

Arguably the most respected Japanese wrestler ever, Antonio Inoki was the founder of New Japan Pro Wrestling which would become the "WWE" of Japan. Inoki was rumoured to be controversially and legitimately knocked out by Hulk Hogan in the final of the 1983 IWGP league when Hogan connected with his axe bomber clothesline finishing manoeuvre. Some say Inoki was really meant to win the match which is believable given how respected he was and facing an American in a final.

Jushin "Thunder" Liger

Jushin Liger is one of the most recognisable masked wrestlers of all time with his unique mask and hair combination. A light heavyweight who also posseses power, he has gone on to win many championships and tournaments mainly in New Japan Pro Wrestling which is where you want to be winning stuff in Japan. He has also wrestled for American promotions like WWF and WCW and you may recognise him from there.

Masahiro Chono

Masahiro Chono was the leader of nWo Japan - an off shoot of the nWo in the 90's. Other than, that he has been a great Japanese heel wrestler and wrestled Hulk Hogan in Hogan's last ever appearence in Japan. He is a former IWGP heavyweight champion and won the IWGP tag team championship many times and at least 3 times with other nWo Japan members.

The Great Muta

The more famous alter ego of Keiji Mutoh the Great Muta was known for spewing mist into the eyes of his opponents. Across both personas he has won both the All Japan Pro Wrestling triple crown as well as the New Japan Pro Wrestling IWGP heavyweight championship.

Recognise any of them? Have a fovorite? Vote.

• Shohei "Giant" Baba
    0% (0)33% (1)17% (1)Vote
  • Genichiro Tenryu
    0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
  • Antonio Inoki
    33% (1)33% (1)33% (2)Vote
  • Jushin Liger
    0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
  • Masahiro Chono
    0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
  • The Great Muta
    33% (1)0% (0)17% (1)Vote
  • Other
    34% (1)34% (1)33% (2)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
1|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Mines is dragon kid (nickname also known as child of God). This guy is 163cm weighing at 70kg and never thought he would wrestle because of his small stature.. But he did it with tenacity and guts!

0|1
    0|0
    • Wow great answer. I'd actually never heard of him. If they weren't in NJPW or AJPW I wouldn't have seen them. My satellite has only ever picked up those.

Most Helpful Guy

• Antonio Inoki didn't he fight Ali to a draw back in the day in his prime?

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah he did. Not many people know about that, I'm impressed.

• Thanks a lot yeah I know all about Ali pretty much and they talked about that match up

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion!

What Guys Said 0

The only opinion from guys was selected the Most Helpful Opinion!