Which came first: mummers, Santa, or Jesus?

• mummers
    14% (1)29% (2)21% (3)Vote
  • Santa Claus
    0% (0)14% (1)7% (1)Vote
  • Jesus b'y
    86% (6)57% (4)72% (10)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
2|5

Most Helpful Girl

• Shoot, I wanted Santa. Because Santa is awesome.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Since Santa Claus is theorised to be based on a Christian Monk St Nicholas he can't pre-date christianity.
    Mummers as folk plays COULD predate christendom... but I frankly doubt it. The tradition just doesn't seem to fit in a society much more fragmented than the early to high medieval period (which is when the plays are first mentioned in passing in several documents).

So:
    Jesus
    St Nick (rather than Santa)
    Mummers
    Santa.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• In order from oldest to youngest:
    Jesus Christ
    Your mum
    Krampus

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• What the heck is a mummer

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm not Xper level 2+ yet so I can't post links yet (bleh, stupid rule), but I'll try to post part of the link:

youtube. com/watch? v=E86bcriRtW8

Watch the video.

• Ah, it didn't work. Just search up The Mummer's Song by Simani on youtube.

• Ok I'll check it out

• Did you see the new santa horror movie?

0|0
    0|0
    • You mean "Krampus" or however you spell it? No, I haven't seen it, but it's nice to get a movie that's different from the regular Christmas stuff you see every year.

• Yeah, that.

• Well, Jesus was Jewish, and turned his back on us, so, I can't really say he was first, I refuse to. Santa, isn't he made up? and I don't even know what a mummer is, is that a christian thing?

0|0
    1|0
    • lol, is it a christian thing. It's an old Newfoundland tradition. You don't see it as often here now.