Would you have given up your seat on the last lifeboat as the TITANIC went down?

If you'd been aboard the TITANIC, and you had the last seat available on the last lifeboat... would you give up your seat, your life for a random stranger?
 Would you have given up your seat on the last  lifeboat as the TITANIC went down?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 24

• I would for my girlfriend, but know she wouldn't accept so we would probably just end up dying together instead. Think if both of us would meet our end we would give up our life for a random stranger and in the past this would be a very easy yes, but my poor girl has been through enough, dont want her to have to deal with my death. So if I ever was to be selfish, it wouldn't even be for myself, but for her sake.

• To a woman or child I would have

• If they had a wife/husband/children/parent on board I probably would. But in all reality it's easy to say that sitting in my chair. I honestly don't know how I would react when shit hits the fan like that. I would like to think I'd do the honorable thing, but no one truly knows until their in it.

• I agree! 👍 it's so easy to say yes when you aren't facing a life threatening situation, but when faced with dire straits it's a different story

• If it were a kid, or a close relative, maybe yes.
    I guess the panic would be such that you wouldn't even be able to make the decision :-(

• Yeah it's so easy for people to say they'd give up their life for a stranger , but when they are facing a life and death situation people aren't so rational and fear takes over 😊

• I think our first action would start with an R, end with an N and have a few UUUUU's in the middle :-(

• Haha that's true! I would be first in the lifeboat haha 😂😂

• Depends on who for.. But its possible, but i would hang on to the side of the boat tho

• FUCK NO!!! you'd have to stab me and throw me off to think i'm taking my life for that fucker. do you know how cold that water was? have you ever been in freezing water? or even luke warm water?

• I just died laughing (and because you didn't give me your boat seat) 😂😂😂😂

• If my family was on the lifeboat, I'd stay on the lifeboat. If my family was on the titanic, I wouldn't leave them.

• NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I don't give a fuck if it's a woman or a child or elderly or handi cap or whatever I want to live to! There's no honor in death only darkness

• Selfish but i would not. What if i gave my seat to a serial killer or something? You never know people's story.. I could have helped humanity by being selfish.

• Nah, screw them life's a bitch lol

• It depends on for who.

• Yes. Others have more important careers than me. I'm just going to join the marines and if I don't die there, I'm becoming an officer of the law

• Stranger? May be... May be.. happy to do a good thing before dying..

• Yeah I probably would have, they probably would have benefited more from it.

• Um hell no!!! That must have been terrifying

• Depends on the circumstances, if I didn't have anyone. Sure why not?

• Yes, because that is what a gentleman would do!

• I would give it to a kid.

• No, absolutely not.

• nope, i would let them drown

• Um no definitely not

• Yep I would have

• Why in the world me or anybody wanna do that?

people get selfish when they are about to die

• Hell motherfucking no. Anybody who thinks they would give a seat to a stranger is completely deluding themselves. You'd like to think so but it doesn't happen that way. When your life is in danger, when you're panicking and you're terrified, your survival instincts kick him. All you can think about is running and hiding to safety.

What Girls Said 13

• Maybe if i had no one to live for !

• For someone I love I like to think I would, but I'll be honest with you: I doubt I would for just anyone. I'm terrified of drowning, even this question gives me the heebie-jeebies.

• Of course I would have... to a pregnant woman for example, or a little kid.
    Sorry but the rest can die with me.

• Heck no. But I'd fit as many children in my lap as possible

• I would like to think so. I definitely would for a child

• A stranger?

LOL bye, sucker!

• This is a very good question and I am not sure.

• only if the person were old, pregnant, or had kids waiting at home

• Ya. Im not any help to anyone anyway

• I would but they would probably said that I should stay

• Depends on who the person is.
    I would probably give it up to my teenaged brother who's just 13.
    If it was just my mother and I, I might give it up for her but I know she wouldn't let me. She would rather die than let me give up my life for her.

• But for my ex boyfriend, father or stranger: I'm sorry but you're on your own.

• Omg I my brain would have said no way Jose.

• I might be overthinking this one a bit, but these questions can always be answered rationally, or thoughtfully as people on dry land, with no clock ticking or our lives not in danger, but the people in that situation didn't have that luxury and I can fault no man or woman for doing what they did in that atmosphere. For me, on said dry land, I would say it depends. Even if it was a mother, father, or child out there, if I were a mother myself, we're in the same position--I too would want to live as there are people I need to care for. Aside from that, in my own real life, I have been in a situation at gunpoint during a robbery, where I did step in front of the gun to protect a co-worker. Thankfully I am still alive, but I don't know---I think as a person with no kids, if I saw a child, my heart would not allow me to sit there. I've lived the years I've lived, and they would deserve the same chance.