What is your opinion on harvesting materials from space?

I heard obama recently passed a law allowing companies to bring gold or other materials from space... I think its a great idea

0|0
3|2

Most Helpful Girl

• Wow... sound futuristic... cool!

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Brilliant idea! We have limited resources here on earth. Eventually they'll run out. I would take it a step further. Set up automated factories on other planets and take their resources

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

What Guys Said 1

• That's kind of stupid. Wouldn't it cost more to bring them from outer space than their selling prices?

0|0
    0|0
    • It could... But mayb not if they are harvested correctly... But there is so much materials on space, like there is probly a mount everest of gold somewhere up there.. And platinum... And diamonds..

• Show All
    • And you know how much money it would cost to build a robot that can throw mountains into space? And what about batteries? How is the robot supposed to keep working? What if it malfunctions?
      Also, how are you going to catch the mountain of gold? Will you just let it crash into the Earth, whatever the consequences?
      And what if the mountain doesn't even reach? What if it crashes into a star, an asteroid or something like that? That would mean the biggest waste of money ever.

• "And what about batteries? How is the robot supposed to keep working? What if it malfunctions?" we have robots on mars now. we have a spaceship that was sent out of our solar system from the 70's that's still working. i think nasa will be fine with making that tech.

"Also, how are you going to catch the mountain of gold? Will you just let it crash into the Earth, whatever the consequences?" have you heard of excavation? there are comets that that have gold on them. it's a fairly common metal. if you want real money, if we could get a spaceship on jupiter or saturn, it literally rains diamonds.

also, space rocks even are expensive. i know they brought back some moon-dust when we went and it was worth upwards of $30k for an ounce.