Subbed or Dubbed?

When watching anime, do you prefer watching it in Japanese with subtitles, or simply translated?

I've seen a few animes in the past before knowing of anime, such as Cardcaprors, and saw them in English. I couldn't dream of watching them subbed. It's almost like they're completely different people...
After learning of anime, however, I've always watched ones I've seen before subbed.

• Subbed
  • Dubbed

Most Helpful Girl

• i like watching them subbed for the most part. however there are acceptations like hetalia, and black butler where the English voice actors have an accent.

• Aha. Accent variations would be a good reason for dubbed. How do you know when there would be, though?

• you don't really, hetalia, and black butler are the only 2 that i know og that have that, because BB takes place in England, and hetalia features characters as different countries. also i've heard the high school of the dead dub took some major liberties, in terms of swearing lol.

Most Helpful Guy

• I used to prefer "Dubs" when I 1st started watching anime. Since I'd always have to pause the show just to read the screen or try to read while watching. But since I wasn't fast enough that never worked for me -_-.

But nowadays I can watch "Subs" without missing a beat. Ya know since I can read the screen almost instantly while also focusing on the fight.

I guess in the end it doesn't matter, but if given the choice I'd rather watch "dubs" with English "subs" just so that I won't have to blast my surround sound to hear them + read all day lol.

What Girls Said 7

• I like sub when it sounds better than dub... But sometime i want focus on the picture ao I dubb!

• I prefer subbed :)

• Always subbed. I also started learning Japanese and trying to improve my Spanish in college, so I like to pretend I'm studying by watching it with Spanish subtitles. :P

• I do dub with Space Dandy and will eventually do the same with Cowboy Bebop. Apparently even the Japanese prefer the English version of Cowboy Bebop! Oh, and Ghost Stories, but only because it's only good in English.

• i like dubbed since I can understand and subtitles and after a while my head hurts but I like subs since its original and sometimes the English voices are weird or not how I imagine them to be.

• Always subbed for me. :)

• I watch them all subbed, always :)

What Guys Said 11

• If I watch enough of a show Subbed, then I won't bother to watch it Dubbed.

• Depends, I try both go with and whichever sounds more badass and fitting. Sometimes it depends on what I hear first cause I watched Attack on Titan in Japanese and couldn't stand the English Dub. The opposite goes for Dragon Ball Z, those Japanese voices made me cringe

• I am never JUST watching a show so I can't pay attention if there is no dub. I would love to learn Japanese though.

• definitely subbed!
    the japanese voices are by far the best... hate the English or German ones. Especially the German ones can be bad (and they are often censored too)

• EEK, all that reading... B Dubbed.

• However, live action movies like Godzilla or mathra are different.

• I got ear cancer from the black butler in English dubbed

• "It depends"

• Dub so I can focus on what's on the screen

• Not an anime watcher, but I prefer almost anything subbed. The sole exception to this is Phineas and Ferb which has a Dutch dub that is just stellar.

• Dubbed is so bad.

• Subbed and I'll tell you why. The dubbed versions don't sound original. They suck ass :/