Why is my little sister racist?

My 8-years-old sister finds non-white people ugly. She's as white looking as Britney Spears herself despite being Middle Eastern. When I show her Asian and black people she's like 'Ew she's/he's so ugly!'' even though we see them around, especially black people. But black people are who she she likes the least.

Most Helpful Guy

• she's young and probably just not exposed enough to those other races. it may not really be racism as opposed to just what she judges to be "attractive" at her young age. perhaps you just keep exposing her to people pointing out attractive people of other races so she starts to learn to see beauty in everything

Most Helpful Girl

• There's a bad apple in every family. I have a racist grandfather, you have a racist sister. It's okay. Your cross to bear, so to speak.

What Guys Said 12

• I don't think she's so racist . . . . just ignorant like we all were at one time. She hasn't had enough life experience to make a rational judgement.

• People flipping their shit here because of what an 8-years old says. How about she might simply find them ugly without any racist undertone? I know that's a bummer, but just because you find an ethnicity ugly in your own eyes doesn't mean you hate them.

• And even then 8-years old are quite known to say completely random stuff in intervalls and that just fades away a few months later.

• She's probably influenced by her peers
    U need to council her

• You need to be telling her its wrong to be thinking others are bad BC of different skin colours.
    Better to address it early

• She's 8, calm down.

• Not everyone has to find black people attractive, damn!

Bet you would be fine with it the other way around lol

• Is not being gay sexist? It's not racist to find someone unattractive.

• You mixed up there—sexist is about gender. Homophobic is about sexuality

• Why are you asking an 8 year old anyways, she hasn't even hit puberty.

• As a race, or in the context of future bonage?

• She's not racist, she simply doesn't like the way some races look.

• Bearing in mind how old she is...

• cos she has her views.

• ooh well if she is from the middle east i can only imagine she is muslim to, the most fascist ideology in the world. i think mohammed would be proud of her, and by the way we all have the right to base our own opinion, i dont like black women either, not in a way that i hate them i just dont find them attractive, thats my choice.

What Girls Said 7

• Racism is a learned behavior. So you need to talk with your parents to discuss the issue

• Maybe her friends, she obviously wasn't raised like this by your parent, so it only makes sense that it's coming from the outside.

• She's only eight. Don't worry.

My little brother walked up to a black man and asked why he was black when he was six.

• she's just a kid. she likely doesn't know or understand why she feels that way. tell your parents to talk to her, or maybe even you can talk to her. show her that there is beauty in every race. she will be fine.

• It's ignorance, and if no one is correcting that it will continue and grow into full blown raccism.

• Do you live in a diverse community? If not, she could just be rejecting the unfamiliar.

• Not very diverse, but she sees black people around.

• Interesting... I always liked admiring the features of others who looked different than myself as a child.

• Give her some time she's just 8, you might want to try and talk to her about it. Show her that black, white, brown or yellow, we are all beautiful.