Is it normal for a hamster to be biting along the rails of their cage?

My hamster tends to bite his cage a lot. But mostly at night when he's awake. Sometimes it can get a little annoying at times though it's not what worries me a lot. But, what I'm really worried about is his teeth and the effect that it may have on them if he continues to do so :(

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, hamsters usually bites cages for many reasons in which I'll state. One reason is to get your attention if they would like to come out a little. Sometimes they tend to feel trapped in their cage especially if it is small or, they are feeling bored. Hamsters do need entertainment in their lives. So providing them with little toys and a wheel in which they can run on is good to have in their cages. One thing to note when it comes to having a hamster cage is that there is a minimum size that is acceptable which is nothing less than 360 square inches. And it is also common for Hamsters to chew on things because it does the opposite of stressing their teeth out, it actually helps them to grind it down as their teeth continues to grow as they age

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 3

• Male hamsters in the wild at night travel looking for food and a mate, even captive male hamsters have the instinct to do this at night so night they are revved up. A bigger cage, an area to dig in and climb, and letting him run around out of the cage before bed helps, also hiding food so he has to find it.

• Don't worry, it's perfectly normal.

• Hamsters needs to chew so that their teeth would not grow excessively

What Girls Said 2

• Going to put my two cents in aswell (because why not) but your hamster may have an itchy teeth. Like Hamsters, rabbits, Guinea pigs, they need something so they can gnaw at. maybe a branch from a tree (those thin ones) have that in the cage.
    The hamster maybe bored, so have a few things for it to do. Take it out of the cage so it can frolic. Cut it some fruit so it's sinking it's teeth into something and not the cage

• I have a hamster. If a hamster bites the bars on the cage that means they're trimming their teeth or they may be bored. Make sure they have enough toys to occupy them self! My hamster used to bite the cage a lot because it was too small and he didn't have a lot of toys. I didn't know until I did research.