How long does it take for a body to decompose?

This may sound a little weird but my dad died when I was only 2 going on 3. I hardly remember him. My mom tells me stories about him. He sounded like a great man. She had me when I was 18 he was 28. They were together 3 years before he died. She said that they were at her grandmas house one day playing around in the yard my dad got really sick he was sick for a while. She said it was like watching a scene from a movie. He just walked off into the woods and died. She never found his body. I try to go look for it but I'm not allowed to go in those woods so I could never find it. I don't know why I'm not allowed to go but her / my great grandma tells me to never go there. My mom says the same thing. I don't think they want me there cause that's where he died. She's probably afraid I might get hurt or go the same way he did. Im not exactly sure how it happened I don't know if a snake or a coyote got him or if he just laid down and died I don't really know. She just said he went in there and never came back she said the last thing he told her was he needed to be alone and that he loved her. I would like to go and find him. It's been 12 years since he died. If he is still there would he be just bones or will his body be gone? Do you think he'd still be there?

Most Helpful Girl

• This sounds like a plot to a movie or book. I have a feeling that maybe he didn't pass and just abandoned y'all. This literally sounds like something from a novela. And your mom probably just said that to preserve your memory of him. Or maybe to preserve her own memory of him and cope with the abandonment.

Even she said it was like watching a scene from a movie. Yea. This all seems very suspicious to me.

Most Helpful Guy

• On average, it takes a few months for a human body to decompose. However, that can vary a lot on the climate and weather. Generally speaking, the warmer and wetter it is, the faster a body decomposes. If it's very, very cold or if it's very, very dry, decomposition can take a long time, sometimes many years.
    In the case of your dad, I think it would be hard to find any remnants. Since he supposedly died and decomposed in a forest, chances are his bones were carried away by wild animals such as foxes or perhaps wolfs if you have them where you live.

At any rate, I also don't quite believe this story. The whole thing sounds rather fishy to me. I think it might also just be some story your mom and grandma are telling you to feel good because the real story was perhaps much more sad/frustrating/unromantic.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 2

• Depending on the weather, the bones could still be there.

• I think you may have a chance to find some bones of him. But this sounds all fishy to me.