Why is it that every time I eat chocolate, I get acne?

I know that this is a myth but seriously I would eat a mini butterfinger and wake up with a few tiny acne on my forehead. I only eat a bit of chocolate and get a lot of acne the next day and it gets so annoying.

Most Helpful Guy

• You are experiencing a phenomena called confirmation bias. Thats a $15 way of saying that we tend to find things we look for (even patterns that are not actually there).

You take note when eating chocolate and a pimple erupts. You do not take note when a pimple erupts but no chocolate consumption precedes.

What is true is that you are a teen. The process of transforming from a child to an adult is massive. Your body's chemistry is being altered to facilitate this change. Acne is a common side effect.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, when it is your own body showing something, it is not a myth.

Chocolate is inherently a "warm" food and if your body is of "warm" nature (Usually such people have warm feet and hands) then your body is prone to a natural reaction with with this chocolate which would show in the "over-heated" body via acne. It is just a way of body to show something isn't working for you.

BUT if this is not the case then maybe something in this specific chocolate is imbalancing the natural state of your body.

What Guys Said 2

• Then stop eating it

• It's not a myth, I'm unclear on the biochemistry behind it, but it can severely aggravate acne for some people.
    Also, colas really aggravate acne for me personally, and I've heard that is a widespread thing as well.

What Girls Said 3

• There isn't necessarily any correlation between the two, since acne is pretty common in people under 18. I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I'm thinking that the acne is inevitable. Eating a superfluous amount of junk food, however, can lead to acne. Just try not to eat a whole lot and you should be fine. Acne should pass with time, at least that's what I hear from plenty of other people. I myself don't ever get acne, despite eating more than just a mini butterfinger. God, those things are irresistible. Now I want chocolate...
    Sorry, got a bit distracted. Anyway, another thing that can help is refraining from touching your face a lot and washing your face at least once or twice a day, as natural oils from your hands can also cause acne. If you really think that chocolate consumption is to blame, I'd suggest just not eating it so much.
    =] Have an awesome day

• Maybe you have a negative reaction to the chocolate itself. It's irritating your skin.

• I heard that chocolate doesn't cause acne but it aggravates it