Are criminals born or made?

Does an “evil gene” exist, a hereditary disorder that causes crime? There are numerous debates about what causes crime. Some people assume that criminal behavior is due to a person’s upbringing and life experiences. Others suggest that criminal behavior is more complex and involves a person’s genetic makeup (“nature”). Are people just born that way? Is criminal behavior pre-determined at some point in people’s lives?

0|0
8|9

Most Helpful Girl

• Kids have been taken away from criminal parents and put in great environments and still ended up as criminals. Sometimes, environment can make a criminal, but often it's genes. Many criminals started doing small things like stealing when they were very young, like even 4-5, and other kids don't do that. Nobody taught those kids to steal, they just did because it was in them. Other kids are born in terrible areas with horrible parents and turn out very straight and wouldn't even commit a small crime.
    They say they think it is something inside them but it would be incorrect to look too deep into it because then where do we stop? Do we lock up people who have potential to be dangerous before they've even done anything? Do we judge kids before they've commited a crime?

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 9

• It depends on what you call crime. What is crime in one place is not crime in another place. Laws make things illegal or not. In ancient times, for example, you could legally kill someone who had killed a member of your family. Today, cassinos are legal in the US but not legal where I live and if you own a cassino you're a criminal. Crimes are relative.

However, violent behaviors are not relative. If you're talking about people with natural inclination for violence (which today is illegal everywhere), I agree that some people are born more violent than others. I don't disagree that society and life events can turn a person violent though.

1|0
    0|0
  • Great question - Just on the spur of the moment I would say a mix but heavily on side of "Made" - Probably 10% the way the person is and 90% their experience/background.

Welcome to the site.

1|1
    0|0
  • I think it's 50/50.

2|0
    0|0
  • a mix of both, most petty criminals are made, and some more server criminals as well. but there are a few psychopaths who are born that way

1|0
    0|0
  • Mental disorders can be known as an "Evil gene", so yes it's possible. A lot of serial rapists and murders have mental disorders that can be classified as such. But they also can be made.

50/50

1|0
    0|0
  • It's a little of both

1|0
    0|0
  • Made! Nobody is born evil

1|0
    0|0
  • potential criminals are born due to us all being born from sin. i also wouldn't say criminals are made, rather, they can be molded, it's up to the individual to continue on after gaining the knowledge of good and bad.

1|0
    0|0
  • What constitutes criminality? It amounts to a lack of respect for social mores and a lack of empathy or the ability to act on your own inclinations or interests despite prejudice to other people.

Everyone has a degree of both these things. Criminals are just those who have a bit more and are in a situation where it is advantageous to them to break the law. Mostly criminals are the stupid ones who are like this. the smart ones don't have to take the risk of breaking the law to get what they want. In a lot of cases they are the ones making the laws.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• We used to argue nature vs nurture back and forth in psychology class all the time. ALL the scientific studies concluded "Nature builds on what nurture provides."

So basically, our genetics determine the fundamentals of our personality but our environment influences it greatly. It's pretty much 50/50.

Some people are just "bad apples." There are noted changes in the brain of some criminals, many of whom come from average families. You can also have two kids grow up in the same environment and turn out completely different.

This will sound strange, but it's very similar to breeding dogs. Some are treated well and trained, but they are poorly bred and still have behavior issues. Except with humans, we can't "cull" the bad ones...

1|0
    0|0
  • They are most definetly made...

1|0
    0|0
  • i think that its made due to a person's life

1|0
    0|0
  • I think criminals are made. If you're poor or can't afford what you want, you'd probably steal. If you're rich or middle class, you can buy most of whatever you want. I think it depends on how you're living.

1|0
    0|0
  • it's the both because he had a lot of form of criminal like psychopath who is born like this and sociopath who is made by people.

1|0
    0|0
  • It can be either or

1|0
    0|0
  • No, an evil gene doesn't exist. People are influenced by their situation, and probably a few mental components as well. Also, we toss around the word "criminal" too much these days. Most of the people you see in jail are there for petty offenses or there because they did what they had to do to feed their family or pay bills.

1|0
    0|0