Which is worse? having a disorder or phobia?

• having a disorder
  • having a phobia

Most Helpful Girl

• Disorders ievery single aspect of your life : day to day functioning , job , school , reasoning etc.

A phobia effects a small fragment.
    Example - I have a phobia of ketchup (I can stay away from it)
    Depending on what the phobia is it may not have has big of an impact on your life , like a disorder does.

So I choose a disorder is worisinterfere

• agree. I dont think i have any phobias but i have OCD. It's bothering me so much that i care for every small thing. I want to stop it but i can't :(

Most Helpful Guy

• Isn't phobia also a disorder? So I voted A).

Like, who's afraid of the holes in toast? Seriously. If you look up the "fear of holes" you do see some disturbing images though.

• I believe they are, considering they're sub-forms of anxiety and phobias are usually an unrational fear of something.

• i meant disorders that dont make you get scarred of something so small. Like OCD or something.

• General Anxiety Disorder can be seen as a phobia. I'm pretty sure phobia are a subset of disorders; just some of them are too situational to cause problems in everyday life.

What Girls Said 3

• I said phobias, because with most mental disorders you can find help no matter how small. Phobias, not so much.

• Disorders are harder to overcome I think; disorders might be genetic; like, you inherit them and that's how your biology is; you have to just find ways to live with it. Whereas phobias I think tend to be developed as a result of external things, so potentially they're more curable? I might be completely wrong that's just kind of my knee jerk reasoning

• Disorder. Most phobias have places you can go to get over it. Like i have a huge phobia of spiders, can't even see pics of them. Even talking about them used to get me. But I'm going to this thing where they build you up and help you get over it. At the end, people even end up holding these massive tarantulas with their bare hands.
    Disorders, you can get support but you can't really get over it or get rid of it.

What Guys Said 3

• A phobia is a disorder

• It can depend. I have terrible anxiety and depression, so many of my lifestyle choices have changed. For instance, I wont't date anymore due to trust issues in women and a lack of confidence, or if I get up and think that I don't look good enough I will stay in my house for the day. However these are things that I can live with and are things that can be fixed or at least suppressed with the right help.

Phobias, in my opinion, can cause more problems depending on what the phobia is triggered by. If it is something like a phobia of snakes/ spiders/ needles, then it's likely going to be more manageable. However, throw in a phobia of people? A phobia of the outdoors? A phobia of having a phobia (I shit you not, this is a thing. Like what a loop you would enter when you were told you had a phobia)? Then these phobias may prove to have a much more severe effect.

I suppose it really depends on the person, and the severity of their ailment.

• Phobias are disorders. So it depends on the disorder, it could be not as bad as a phobia, it could be worse, or it could be a phobia