Part 2 of what to do about intruders: do you have a safe room in your home?

the last question I asked about what people would do if they heard someone breaking into their home was encouraged by a show I was watching where a couple was awoken to kids breaking into their home and the guy telling his wife to call the police while he goes to see what's going on. he grabbed a bat on his way out the room, attempted to swing at one of them, was blocked, then accidentally knocked over a bannister and died when he hit the floor below. a very cliché outcome in movies/tv show. the thing that's always bothered me by these scenes is that the women are always fine with potentially sending their husbands off to be killed instead of staying together in their locked bedroom, calling the police, and attacking them if they attempt to enter. personally, unless I were in a household with others, in particular kids, in another room, I'd stay put. I see no point in encouraging violence.

anyway, I did a little google search out of curiosity what is suggested online and found some information on saferooms.

• yes, I have one in my home.
  • no, I don't have one in my home.

Most Helpful Guy

• Every room I am in my house is a safe room. I get up put my clothes on. Put my gun in my waist. Walk to the kitchen and make coffee and enjoy my freedom.

Will i ever need to use my gun? Probably not but i like to have the option to have the advantage over an intruder.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have 2 safes in my room. One of which contains a gun with which to kill any intruders.

• Oh lol a safe room... haja don't have one of those 😂

• Just wait to be invited @levin 😘

Asker I think you'd have to be pretty loaded!

• Yeah, I don't suppose people surprise each other much in America...

What Guys Said 6

• I'd grab a gun and go investigate.

And since you mentioned the wife, my ex used to practically make me do it whenever she heard the slightest unusual noise outside. So I'd get up, throw on some quick clothes, stuff a gun in my waistband, then go outside and look around. There was never anything, so I came back inside and went to bed. I must have done that a dozen times or more.

Also, for the record I have stopped a crime that way before. I was with that same ex, but she wasn't home at the time.

• This is why God gave us automatic weapons.

• lol, I don't believe in fairytale beings in the sky (or anywhere else). and you didn't actually answer the question

• My answer was in my vote: No. As to the existence of God, I was just using a phrase and not professing an unproveable assertion regarding the existence or nonexistence of deities.

• No safe room in my house. My room mates and I all have firearms in our bedrooms.

• people in movies like that are borderline retarded. there's no way in hell you can swing, miss and fall that easily. i'd probably go get the shotgun. we don't lock our doors either. i don't know anyone or have heard of anyone having a safe room.

• No, not really - unless I have both my handgun and shotgun with me. But I don't have much of a shield, though.

• I live in an apartment

What Girls Said 5

• I don't have a safe room, but I'd probably get one if I had a big fancy house. I don't really see the point though unless there's one in every room or something? My friend used to have a hidden room under her stairs and it was really neat.

If I heard anything, you can bet your ass I'd find a hiding spot and call the police. I don't have a gun (although I'd like to) but I do have two big dogs. Pretty sure my akita/pit mix would annihilate any unwelcomed visitors.

• My husband doesn't wake up for anything once he is asleep. I've had a few times where I thought people were breaking in (our gutter fell off once and crashed into the house). He would not wake up. I don't even try anymore lol, I just grab my gun and go investigate.

• I only have A room, a bathroom and a toilet, so nope no safe room haha

• No safe room for me.

• Why would I have a safe room?