Have you reached adulthood yet?

Do you consider yourself a man or still a boy, or a girl who has yet to reach womanhood? Does it feel good when someone recognizes your maturity and refers to you as a man or woman Does it even matter to you. Have you matured. Why or why not.

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 1

• oh heck yes i have

• how do you know? Not questioning that you have just looking for evidence. or proof.

• well i couldn't give u proof. it's more that I'm aware of the growth in my mind.

• ok that's something. Thats a reason at least which is good.

What Guys Said 3

• I consider myself an adult (and I should, considering I'm 27 ;-)). I've matured earlier than most other kids (emotionally and mentally I mean) and I always felt pretty grown-up, even when I was 13 or 14. Even my teachers in middle school used to tell my parents how I talk and think about very different stuff than my class mates. The most important reason for this is that I have been almost blind since I was born. This meant that I had to go through lots of stuff that other kids never had to go through. Especially my childhood was sometimes quite exhausting, with many surgeries I had to get, time I had to spend in the hospital, lots of different eyedrops I had take etc.. Also, because of my disability, I was forced to think a lot about my future, especially in terms of career path (what do I want to do? How am I going to achieve this? etc.). I think my disability made me reflect a lot upon my own life and upon the world as a whole. I asked myself lots of fundamental questions at a pretty young age (I still enjoy thinking about them nowadays ;-)).
    However, the real moment where I realized "woww... I'm turning into an adult" was when I was 15 and strangers suddenly started talking to me in the formal form (this is a bit difficult to imagine for English speakers because there are no different linguistic forms of politeness/formality in English). The rule of thumb is, generally speaking, that you should use the formal form with anyone who is 16 or older. But sometimes people don't know exactly how old you are and so they start a little earlier to be on the safe side. Also, at the same time I got into a new school and suddenly, all the teachers and the principal talked to me in the formal form. Emotionally, this was extremely different from the days in elementary or middle school, where you address your teachers in the formal form but they address you in the informal form. There, I could really feel the hierarchy, even through the medium of language. Now, I suddenly felt much more on an equal level with all the adults; whether it was my teachers, my eye doctor or the cashier in the supermarket. So yeah... I think this was sort of a big moment for me.
    Nowadays, I don't really think much about being an adult anymore. It's fine in general, though I also miss my childhood in some ways. Being an adult can sometimes be very exhausting with all the duties and responsibilities. But then again, it also gives you a lot of freedoms ;-).

• With the exception of children, I have pretty much everything about adulthood in my life. Pros and Cons include.

• Did a long time ago.