Apartment hunting help?

I'm not moving for a loooooooong time, but I've decided to start eyeing things to get a general idea of how much it will cost me to move from point a (michigan) to point b (austin, tx).

Thing is, I'm looking at apartments right now, and at one apartment complex a 1 bedroom apartment costs $900 something but then you select the 4 bedroom option and it only costs $400 something. Anyone have any idea of WHY that would be? In my head, the more bedrooms = more expensive.

Other than that, any general tips would be nice. I've never lived on my own before, so this will be a first time experience when it does happen.

Most Helpful Guy

• Because you'll have 3 roommates who also pay $400 so that apartment unit is $1600 overall instead of $900. I usually use yelp. It's a bitch to find apartments. It's just a lot of hunting and seeing if the same complaints come up over and over. The thing with reviews is some people are just whiny bitchers and complain about everything so you have to take what is said with a grain of salt. Only when you see the same complaint about an apartment coming up over and over is when you should believe it to be true.

Also when you do move in they usually have you do room checks where you look over the room and look for anything that is broken or just not working properly. Be incredibly anal and if you see something that doesn't look right mark it down and say it's broken. If the paint is a little chipped on the wall write that down. They make a lot of money by charging you for the tiniest little issues at the end of your lease but they can't if you said it was bad when you did your room check when you first moved in.

• Do they have to specify if the $400 is just for one person or in general? Because it doesn't say $400 a person or anything on the webpage. It just straight up says $400.

• That's how every lease I've ever seen for an apartment is set up. They show you the price for "a" room not the whole unit. They wouldn't show the full price for all rooms combined because a lot of people are willing to live with strangers in an apartment to save money because living with roommates is always much more affordable than having your own apartment to yourself.

• I've never seen a lease! This isn't a lease I'm fuckin' lookin at lmao I'm just lookin' online. Whatever, I'm kind of done with this conversation.

Most Helpful Girl

• Tupperware! We threw out soooooo much food because we never remembered to buy tupperware. Also something I wish we would have done when I moved out at 18.. drive by and check out the neighborhood at night. Our apartment was in the city and diagonal from a police station but it was joke that freaks come out at night. They were everywhere! I would stick to shorter leases if possible too. That way if you like it, everything is good, but if you're unhappy you don't end up stuck. Pinterest for decorating ideas, especially when you can't paint! Good luck🍀

• Can't do night drive-by's because it's like... a thousand something miles away. But will keep everything else in mind, thank you.

What Guys Said 8

• That would have to be a typo - some kind of mistake. No way you are finding a four bedroom in Austin for $400.

http://rentbits.com/rb/t/rental-rates/austin-texas

3BR are running around $2000 on average... a 4BR will be even higher.

www.apartmentlist.com/.../ looks at a lot of cities to get some comparative data (though this one is a year old). www.apartmentlist.com/.../ gives an overview of Texas itself (and is recent).

The median price of a 1BR was $930, and a 2BR was $1,190 a year ago. It's $1,080 and $1,400 now. The rent also varies a lot based on area. Old West Austin, Downtown, Bouldin, South River City have way way way higher rents than cheap places like Georgian Acres, Coronado Hills, North Lamar.

That 4BR price had to be for one room in shared accommodations or something, or it was a typo.

• Yeah, it's definitely one of those too good to be true scenarios I'm sure.

• Yeah. Like, the price is not even close. If it was $1,400, I would be thinking "that's pretty cheap for a 4BR... too cheap... there must be something wrong with the place, or it's beside a fire department or a homeless encampment, or something..." But at $400, I just think it's a mistake.

• $400 for a 4 bedroom? Are you looking at a place in Iowa or a crack house in Michigan? I can see paying $1600 split 4 ways for 3 other roommates.

Stay away from the 4 bedroom, $400/month otherwise you'll get what you pay for in that case.

Living in an apartment with a city the two key features for me are off street parking and washer/dryer hookups. You'll know why when you move into your new place.

What city/state are you looking near? Craigslist is a very big help in seeing before visiting with pictures. Also, best to get with a month to month vs. a lease if possible so you'll see if you like the area.

• Did you seriously just ask me what city/state I'm looking near when I put it in my question? Try reading.

• My bad. I just came back from Austin, TX. Stay out of the Northeast area unless you live up around Round Rock. Southwest is better and relatively safer.

• It's either desirability or whether or not utilities are included. Go spend some time hanging out in the area before committing to anything, the last thing you want to do is move in and find out you're surrounded by assholes.

• I've been to Austin, a couple times now, and I know I love it there.

• I know it's a cool place I'm just talking really locally, you could have shitty neighbors wherever you move to.

• I'm thinking the 4 bedrooms thing must have been a typo or they made a mistake because that is quite the steal right there I would find out for certain from the land lord or whoever owns the place and to find out.

• My house costs £1,450 a month and it's 3 bedrooms and tiny af.

London, ehm

• It's really expensive to live in Austin 💁🏻

• No way in Hell that's right

• Hmm I have no idea.

What Girls Said 2

• You should check locals newspaper!

• That helps approximately 0% because I'm switching states?

• Ohhh... well I mean loval states newspaper on advertisment online!!! Craglist?

• I'm guessing..

but either the more expensive one, includes all utilities, and the cheap one doesn't...

or its all about the quality and location.

• As I said, they're in the same complex. So it's definitely not due to one being in a shittier location.

• 1,260 sqft for the 4 bedroom
      554 sqft for the 1 bedroom

The 4 bedroom also has a smaller deposit required. If it's a place I end up being set in stone on I'll email them, but I've just started looking and this made me curious so that's why I'm asking.

• I'd email them regardless... it's market research, and you might run into this again with another place.

Hell, I live in Canada and won't ever be moving to Texas, let alone Austin, and I want to know why the difference lol