I was born in England to Irish Parents, yet the Irish call me English and the English call me Irish, so what nationality am I?

I cannot lay claim to being Irish according to those born on the Motherland because I was born in England and the English say I am not English because my family is Irish. So what nationality am I? I consider myself to be Irish because I was raised with traditional Irish and Catholic customs. My English friends call me a Paddy and always refer to me as Irish, yet my Irish family members in Ireland call me English.

• English
  • Irish

Most Helpful Girl

• You are obviously Irish, just like your parents. For example, what if some Russian or Chinese were born in England, would he/she be English? No, of course not.

Most Helpful Guy

• Which passports do you have?

Anyway you have no English 'blood' in you as I can tell by what you wrote. And only Irish blood, therefore in my eyes you are Irish.

On paper you could be English too though, if your parents were naturalised citizens and/or maybe one of them came from Northern Ireland. Still Ireland though ;)

What Girls Said 4

• On first meeting I would call you English. Simply going on what my cousin refers to herself as. London born and reared but to Irish parents.

• you're Irish. You're parents raised you according to how ther were raised and I think you're Irish.

• I would say your nationality is English but your ethnicity is Irish

• You're both.

What Guys Said 3

• If your parents are Irish, then you are Irish too, you only have English citizenship.

• englisch citizen, but your irish becuase your family is. i think

• A human. An England born Irish or An English with Irish roots :P