Should the man who proposed to his girlfriend go to jail?

Two days ago, a man named Vidal Valladares, who was divorced not 6 months ago, had a couple of his friends block all lanes of traffic on I-45 which is a main route into Downtown Houston, (extremely dangerous) so that he could get down in the middle of the freeway and propose to his new girlfriend. (She said yes). If you know nothing about Houston, know that as the fourth largest city in the US, traffic is an everyday occurrence for just about everyone. This year, the city was ranked #8 as in the country for worst traffic. On average, commuters spend 62 hours plus in traffic annually going to and from work, home, or events no matter how much the city has tried to expand the freeway system. His stunt backed up traffic for a long time and made people late to appointments, to pick up kids, to get home, etc. The city has now charged him with a Class 2 Misdeameanor which will cost him up to 6 months in jail and/or a $2,000 fine.

• This guy should definitely go to jail/pay fines for his actions
  • This guy is a total romantic, and should just be let go with a warning

Most Helpful Guy

• Imagine if he blocks an ambulance with his nonsense.

Yeah.

• In fact. Plus, what kind of idiot marry again after been divorced for just few months? I can't imagine what he will do to propose to his third wife :D

• This is precisely one of the reasons I personally have no sympathy for the guy. What if he would have inadvertantly put someone's life endanger other than his own and his girlfriend and friends? Would we all be so lovey dovey then if it were our family member... doubtful.

• I don't think jailing him would really do a difference (considering he didn't actually kill someone or anything), but I can clearly see why he'd have to pay a fine.

Most Helpful Girl

• He should be fined

What Guys Said 7

• I clicked on option A but I am very much against prison sentences in these kind of situations. The US already puts WAY too man people into prison for ridiculously small offenses (which is partially why the US has by far more prisoners per capita than any other country on earth, including China).
    However, I also find this American way of publicly proposing in front of lots of people really cheesy and stupid. I also think it's really stupid to propose to your girlfriend in the break of a baseball or football match or something like that. It's not romantic because all these hundreds or thousands of strangers don't give a rat's ass about your relationship. It just seems very much like a in-your-face type of thing.
    I don't think the guy should go to prison but he should have to pay a fine. 2,000 dollars seems a little high though. Maybe 1,000 dollars would be enough.

• Yeah let's be honest he's a total starnger and his marriage proposal means nothing to most people. But blocking the highway disrupted a lot of peoples lifes. I would totally send him to jail

• i'd be ok with a few years probation and some hefty fines. We need Jail space for real criminals not for obnoxious assholes like this guy.

• I picked jail , but honestly I'm split.

• Anyone dumb enough to get married should go to jail

• that got turned you on, didn't it?

• Yes traffic problems are bad enough without some jerk cause it on purpose. Somebody should have just ran his ass over

What Girls Said 5

• Yes, he was a bit of an asshole for choosing to force everyone to watch him propose that way but he had positive intentions and no one got hurt. It's not like someone got killed. I don't think he should have to spend a half of his year in jail PLUS a couple of grand in jail for that. Texas is so backwards.

• He should be forced to do community service and fined the entire 2,000. He's careless and doesn't think of others. And if I was this woman, I would doubt how good a partner with little rationality would be.

• YEAH! JUST BECAUSE HE GETTING MARRIED DOESN'T STOP HIM FROM BEGIN A IDIOT!

• Big fine, not jail.

• Fines, but that's about it.