What are some famous people from your country?

Name three (world-) famous people from your country! They can be both dead or still alive. If you come from a big country with lots of famous people such as the US., you can also name famous people from your state/province if you prefer that.
I'm gonna make a start:
I come from Switzerland.
Famous people from my country are:
- Henry Dunant (1828-1910), born in Geneva. He was the founder of the international comittee of the red cross (ICRC) and recipient of the very first nobel peace prize. He also had the idea to write a legally binding charta that defines the universal rights of all men, women and children and to found an organization where all of the world's nations work together. This later resulted in the foundation of the League of Nations (later changed into United Nations) and its human rights' charta and international war charta in 1899.
- Carl Gustav Jung (1875-1961), born in Kesswil. He was a psychatrist and psycho-therapist. He was the most prominent student of Sigmund Freud. After learning a lot from Freud, he also started criticizing him, especialy because Jung believed that Freud was placing too much importance on the aspect of (male) sexuality. This led to a couple of pretty bitter fights and they eventually quit talking to each other. Jung then developed the field of analytical psychology and created notions such as the collective unconscious and intraversion vs. extraversion. He was also extremely interested in dreams and dream interpretation.
- Roger Federer (1981-present, still alive), born in Basel. He is a professional tennis player and has been the world number-one for a couple of years. He has won 17 grand slam tournaments and won lots of other championships. He's won every major prize that can be won in the world of teenis several times.

So what are famous people from where you come from? :-)

Most Helpful Girl

• The Netherlands:

1. Basically every DJ you know. Tiesto, Armin van Buuren, Martin Garrix, Nicky Romero, Hardwell, Afrojack
    2. A lot of models like Doutzen Kroes, Lara Stone and some other Victoria Secret models.
    3. Getting more physics like, Antoni van Leeuwenhoek has invented the microscope and the electronics company Philips has invented the CD and other things or Wilhelm Röntgen who invented röntgen radiation who has actually lived his entire life in the Netherlands instead of Germany.

• I'm not so well-informed about pop culture, so I actually didn't know all these DJs and models but I do know Antoni van Leeuwenhoek and of course Wilhelm Röntgen. Though I didn't know Röntgen lived in the Netherlands :-). No surprise though... if I had the choice between Germany and the Netherlands, I would also go to the Netherlands...

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm from america. there are slews of world famous people. most people probably know who they are... from my state might be better
    Pennsylvania

singers/musicians: Billie Holliday, Frankie Avalon, Darryl Hall and John Oates, Jim Croce

actors/actresses: Will Smith, Kevin Hart, Grace Kelly, Kevin Bacon, Jayne Mansfield

Athletes: Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Reggie Jackson, Wilt Chamberlin

Other: Norm Chomsky, Andy Warhol, Dean Koontz, Bayard Rustin, Daniel Boone, Harry Alonzo Longabaugh (Sundance Kid as in Butch Cassidy and...), Gertrude Stein, Milton Hershey (as in the chocolate)

and many more

• Oh wow, this is really cool! I've actually lived in Pennsylvania for a year. I know many of these people but there are also quite a lot I didn't know. Also, I didn't know Will Smith comes from Pennsylvania ;-).

• yeah Big Wilie is from Philadelphia. he grew up about 4 blocks from where my grandmother lives in West Philadelphia

• in west philadelphia born and raised
      on the playground was where I spent most of my days
      chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
      and all shootin some b-ball outside of the school
      when a couple of guys who were up to no good
      started making trouble in my neighborhood
      i got in one little fight and my mom got scared
      she said 'you're movin' with your auntie and uncle in bel air'

i'm pretty sure that explains it all :)

What Girls Said 5

• Hayao Miyazaki! (Japanese)
    Masashi Kishimoto (Japanese)
    Psy (Korean)

• Where are you from? Aren't you Japanese? Cuz I said from YOUR country :-). Psy is from Korea...

• Oh wait... I completely read your question wrong! I thought I read *not* in your country.

I think I need to go back to bed... Lol

• I'm from the US
    famous people-past and present
    Thomas Jefferson
    Britney Spears
    Michael Jackson

• Tina Turner
    Yeslam bin Ladin
    Xherdan Shaqiri
    😄

• I think I know that country :-). Though none of them is actually Swiss

• Ah wait, Shaqiri must be. Otherwise he couldn't play for the national team. Already, I'm tired... I just probably just stop writing stuff ;-).

• Everyone I listed owns the red passport, but I guess being from a country means something else depending on whom you ask.

• Famous people from my state would be Seth McFarlane, George W Bush, Bette Davis. I struggled for a little bit to think up Bette lol

• Scary spice.
    Sporty spice.
    Posh spice.

What Guys Said 1

• i'm from america... there's a lot. my state, specifically, i'll go with shaq, kevin spacey, meryl streep (however you spell her 1st name), the boss, joe flacco and derek jeter

• didn't know meryl streep was a jersey girl. you guys can claim a LOT of famous people
      Sinatra, Danny Devito, Jack Nicholson, bon jovi, and on and on and on

• @madhatters4 yeah. she's from summit, which is about 2 towns over from me. eli manning also lives in summit and i live about 5 miles away from jets hq, which is basically behind my high school.

i also didn't include vince lombardi and dennis rodman, abbott and costello, cruise, peter dinklage and i queen latifa :D