What is better? Being complimented by looks or by intelligence/abilities?

I like the second one more, I think skills define us.

0|0
23|32

Most Helpful Guy

• i may sound selfish... but i'll pick looks...

i know looks fade away and all... but honestly i'd rather be good-lookin and dumb than ugly and intelligent... actually i don't wanna live more than 65 unless i look 40 or younger...

it's pretty simple y looks win... when u meet someone u see LOOKS first... u have no idea about their intelligence...

i like dat i still have ma looks but i'm afraid after some point i'll lose 'em... after all i don't wanna have kids or marry... so yeah...

well... wot i believe's if someone wants to marry and settle down... then he/she shouldn't bother about looks... intelligence counts more in dat case... but if u r against settlin down... looks win... well as long as u can stay good-lookin... after they fade away GAME OVER...

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 31

• on looks i'm like meh, thanks. i can't change it, i'm just born looking mediocre

but intelligence, its like something i have worked years on, especially if when you finish something you have been working on and someone says good job, you're so intelligent its like a little bit inside of me dies, like the tears of joy type thing.

2|0
    0|1
  • Having only gotten a few compliments about my looks I'd find that 'better'. I'm fairly smart that I don't really need to hear how smart I am, it is nice to have that recognition but that often takes more time and I think it would be nice to have some more superficial compliments from women that rarely ever happen.

Just because I'm a guy doesn't mean I can't enjoy a compliment about my looks or something else superficial that is pretty much out of my ability to control.

1|0
    0|0
  • looks. i'm not ugly by any stretch, but most people are intelligent at something. not everyone is good looking overall. plus, i'm a certified genius anyways.
    www.myptsd.com/.../

and no, i'm actually not kidding, ironically.

1|0
    0|0
  • intelligence/abilities, of course.
    Looks fade away much faster than intelligence/abilities

1|1
    0|0
  • Men prefer to be complimented on looks, and women prefer tl be complimented on abilities!

We all seek balance. :)

1|0
    0|0
  • Skills.
    We appreciate the things we work for more than what is given. So it's natural to prefer compliments for what you can do vs how you look.

1|0
    0|0
  • Looks. I'm very confident in my intelligence and don't need people complementing me on it but I can't say the same about my looks.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think looks is best since I know how smart I am and where my talent lies but being commented for doing well would also be nice. It kinda feels like I am hated when for example someone else did as well as me but got all the credit and I just look stupid.

1|0
    0|0
  • let just say half half for each... ummm... maybe a bit more for intelligence!
    Cause' you might be an ace but if you are a daft cow, it sure not worth it.

1|0
    0|0
  • i can appreciate both. My looks are off the hook, so i dont blame a girl for forgetting how amazingly intellectual i am also

1|0
    0|0
  • Looks. Lol I already know I'm smart I wanna be told I'm cute!

/\ first class narcissism right there!

1|0
    0|0
  • I do not care what people said about my looks at all. if girls do not like me, for my looks - i do not care. looks fade when you get older, but intelligence does not. so i pick intelligence. good looking people do not change the world to better, but intelligent people build space ships and hydron colliders not model buff guys or hot victoria's secret model girls...

1|0
    0|0
  • Both are great, because I worked hard on my body/looks and I've also worked hard to graduate in high standing and obtain an advanced professional career.

As I get to know someone better, it's always nice for them to compliment/recognize the deeper things, like my career drive and ambition for example.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think intelligence/abilities. You can always work out more or lose some weight, but like the saying goes, you can't fix stupid

1|0
    0|0
  • As long as you're being complimented.. In any case, I would go with intelligence and/or abilities...

1|0
    0|0
  • I think you have both, but also you're more likely to get complimented on your 'Amily' intelligence/abilities, bc that's what sets you apart.

1|0
    0|0
    • That's sweet haha thanks

• @Asker i can't believe i am saying this, but who are you? "Trail blazing, everbrow raising, pie eating, elbow dropping, wyayayayaya, theee mmmost 'Amilyfying' (wo) man in all of entertainment wyayayaya the People's Champ" @WhatTheHellAmy

• I'm whatthehellamy lol

• Intelligence/abilities.

1|0
    0|0
  • Being complimented at all is great...
    But yeah getting complimented for your skills or accomplishments would be so much better :)

1|0
    0|0
  • looks are the easiest of the 3.

so ability then intellgence

but a girls biggest asset is her looks they say

1|0
    0|0
  • Skills.. for sure.
    People tell me I'm smooth. 😏😚

1|0
    0|0
  • Both are appreciated, though intelligence and skill more as it's something that is more earned

1|0
    0|0
  • Looks. I already know what I'm capable of. I doubt about my looks all the time.

2|0
    0|0
  • both is nice but I guess I'll take the second one if I have to choose only one

1|0
    0|0
  • Well, I tend to get complimented on smarts a little more often. Probably looks.

1|0
    0|0
  • Probably my looks.

I already know how smart I am. ^_^

1|0
    0|0
  • Well obviously the second one is more important, but it's be nice to be complimented on looks once.

1|0
    0|0
  • 2nd one, but 1st one is nice to hear from time to time

1|0
    0|0
  • I get complimented on my intelligence a lot. Someone complimenting my appearance wouldn't hurt.

1|0
    0|0
  • I am like whatever dude 😏

1|0
    0|0
  • I imagine you will like whatever one you don't hear as often. I get complimented on my intelligence all the time, but I am almost never get told I am attractive. I have started to hate being complimented on my intelligence. It feels like they are just saying I am too ugly to compliment me on my looks. I imagine this is how women feel about only being told they are attractive, but never get complimented on their intelligence.

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 22

• I think the second one as well, you can be the prettiest thing but if there's nothing there then it's not really a benefit.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would prefer intelligence and abilities. They're things that I feel matter more than looks because looks only get you so far in life.

1|0
    0|0
  • For me it's intelligence or ability. I already know I'm good looking so I feel lime it's not as bigger deal.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's nice when someone admires my critical thinking skills and talents. I'm older so I'm really digging the beauty compliments now. It's just nice when someone sees something good and mentions it:)

1|0
    0|0
  • Intelligence and personality are wonderful things to be complimented on in my opinion. :)

1|0
    0|0
  • Intelligence and abilities.

While you can work on your looks, a large part of your looks is just blind luck. Intelligence and skills is something that's valuable to you as a person.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think intelligence is better than a pretty face

1|0
    0|0
  • I appreciate all sorts of compliments but I prefer to be to be complimented on my intelligence and abilities.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm gonna be a minority but my looks because that's what i'm more insecure about most of the time and it's nice to get compliments on insecurities

1|0
    0|0
    • also I spend a lot of time on makeup so in a way that is a skill i've worked at

• intelligence and abilities.

1|0
    0|0
  • Porque no los dos?

1|0
    0|0
  • Instead of intelligence/abilities i'd say personality.

1|0
    0|0
  • I already know I'm intelligent.

Tell me I'm beautiful!

1|0
    0|0
  • Second one. It's more practical and useful in this world.

1|0
    0|0
  • looks. i'm already aware of the latter.

1|0
    0|0
  • Second one.

1|0
    0|0
  • For me, my looks. I'm already very confident in my intelligence/abilities.

1|0
    0|0
  • Looks, I know what I am capable of, but I'm insecure about my looks. Haha

1|0
    0|0
  • Either is nice. I'm not one to turn down a compliment. :)

1|0
    0|0
  • Looks.
    I am happy with my intelligence and who I am.

1|0
    0|0
  • Intelligence or abilities.

It'd be nice to hear sometimes... people only compliment my appearance... and sometimes I wonder if I'm all that smart/funny/interesting. Well, they sometimes compliment my work and skills too (I'm an actress, and I occasionally sing as well), but I'd like to know I'm a cool person.

I was treated like I was a terrible person growing up by my father... so I often feel like I'm a bad person sometimes. So when someone tells me I'm really "generous", "sweet", "loving" or "affectionate" it means a lot. Because I've had to work the hardest to become those things, and not become "cold", "bitter", and "mean" like my parents.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's nice to be complimented on something you don't have much control over. If someone came up to me and complimented my looks (like hair or eyes or something) it makes me feel good about myself

2|0
    0|0