If man evolved from monkeys, how come we still have monkeys?

Most Helpful Guy

• You might be on to something OP.

The theory of evolution is nothing more than adaptation to different environments. Variables like climate, disaster, predators, and to a point personal choice don't affect every member of the same species in the same way. If a group of 100 monkeys split into 2, half went east and half went west, the eastern monkeys stayed in trees while the western monkeys took to land, over time those monkeys would be extremely different than one another. The plains monkeys would be bigger, badder, and more group oriented to fend off the large plains predators, meanwhile the arboreal monkeys would be lean, fast, and relatively smaller to maneuver through trees.

Not only that, but their diets would be completely different, making their bodies different, changing their diet from forager to hunter/gatherer, and then from there would change based on what happened in that specific area. That's why there are still monkeys around, since not every member of that specific prehistoric monkey species left the trees to become the precursor of the great apes.

Most Helpful Girl

• We didn't come from monkeys. Earlier humans resembled apes and didn't have higher thinking abilities. Apes- and all other primates- have the same ancestors as humans do.

Evolution is 100% fact, and it makes complete sense if you educate yourself.

You ask why do we talk and look different than apes- well hun that's the concept of evolution. We evolved..

• This question showed me how ignorant gaggers are

• Don't be a bitch, I was just asking a question and WAS trying to educate myself, thanks. I'm 13 so I'm still trying to figure out this stuff. That's not "ignorant" at all. :/

• Wasn't talking about you

What Guys Said 17

• Only a very ignorant person would say that humans evolved from monkeys. Humans and monkeys share a common evolutionary ancestor, but the line that branched off and led to monkeys, and the one that branched off and led to humans separated millions of years ago.

• For goodness sake, I don't know why so many people are actually getting angry at me. I'm not saying that they did, but I'm trying to learn about it all, and it would be nice if assholes would stop being so rude about it and calling me ignorant for asking a damn question.

• If all multi-celled organisms are evolved from single-celled organisms, why do we still have single-celled organisms (looking at you there Mr. Amoeba)?

A monkey living in out time is not an ancestor. It is a cousin.

With the understanding that all living things (except some viruses) pass their genetic heritage to the next generation using DNA as the delivery vehicle, all living things are cousins. The difference between me, an ant, a chimpanzee or a pot of begonias is one of relational distance.

The chimp is a close relative, as it is:
    - an animal
    - with a spinal cord
    - with an endoskeleton
    - that is warm blooded
    - that is a mammal
    - that is a primate
    - and an ape, therefore no tail (unlike monkeys)

The ant is an animal like us but that is where the similarity ends. That exoskeleton changes everything.

The begonias are like us in that they live, can reproduce and are native to earth.

By comparison, the chimps are very close cousins.

• I am not a 100% sure but I think there is a theory of divergence that one strand and the other became mankind - Where the split happened, no one seems sure of but the link between the two is referred to as the missing link and I don't think science has ever discovered it - I still think evolution is the most plausible theory out there.

• Ha ha ha they were the smart ones

• We probably come from something like an Orangutan or something. Orangutan's are 97% the same as human's.

• But if it's a whole 97%, why do we look so different and why do we talk

• @Falling4UTC I am not surprised at all! Yes that is room for change. I am not surprised because humans look a lot like a lot of these animals anyway.

• I tend to relate specific people to specific animals sometimes. There's mainly people who resemble mice and hamsters, or the majority resemble monkeys or apes. My grade 8 teacher looked SO MUCH like a monkey to me, and same with a lot of my friends. Its just how we are

• Yeah we didn't evolve from the monkeys of today, evolution just split into two different directions.

en.wikipedia.org/.../Chimpanzee%E2%80%93human_last_common_ancestor

Here's about our last common ancestor with chimpanzees.

• Because we didn't evolve from monkeys. We and monkeys evolved from the same thing. Just like you and your siblings are descended from your parents, but you are not your parents.

• Evolution states that humans and monkeys both evolved from one ancestor.
    And not that humans evolved from monkeys.

• We didn't evolve from THOSE kinds of monkeys.

• I think we were patched together not evolved. some monkey stuff was used. our digestive system is very pig like...

but I was going to crack a joke that monkeys didn't evolve after their females created feminism.

• When I put the timer of my microwave on 6:66, my popcorn gets burnt...
    CHECKMATE ATHEISTS

• Natural Selection, monkey's are a successfully defined species in their environment.

• Because they all don't change at once

• because we didn't evolution is only a hypothesise

• I would love to know that myself , but they would probably come up with some smart ass comment like out DNA split or some crap like that. I still wouldn't believe in it anyway.

• Because we didn't come from monkeys.

Early humans were different physically- they resembled apes- and didn't have higher thinking abilities.

• No. We share a common ancestor that split long ago. Similar yes to an ape but more human.

• Is it a neanderthal

• But like chimps we didn't evolve from neanderthals. Humans and neanderthals both evolved from a common ancestor called homo erectus.

• @tyber1 Excellent thank you.

• Because man didn't evolve from monkeys

• lol look at these down votes. Such ignorance

• @Miggy Ohh, see what you're saying. Perhaps he's religious

• @Miggy yes correct

What Girls Said 11

• To make you ask this question.

• Sharing a common ancestor is not the same as evolving from something. That's like saying you and your siblings are the exact same because you have the same parents.

• I D K lol
    .

• Two words: common ancestor.

• First of all you do not understand evolution. It is random. Homo sapiens which we are did not involve from monkeys. There were many different sub humans prior to Homo sapiens. Over hundreds of thousands of years random genetic chromosomal changes took place. Such as the Cro-Magnon man. Monkeys didn't go away because these changes did not necessarily occur in all species allowing monkeys to maintain themselves while sub humans evolved from a distinct area on earth.

• we didn't. it's a government conspiracy. like the "moon landing". and how "pluto is a planet". and the "fluoride" in municipal water supplies.

• Because some monkeys refused to evolve :P

• we didn't evolve from them, they are a common ancestor

• How come we don't have half evolved beings too right? Lol

• Evolution never says that we evolved from monkeys

• We didn't evolve from monkeys.. We both share a common ancestor.

• Who's our common ancestor?

• As @KDA20 said, that's the missing link. The common ancestor was believed to have gone extinct after our species evolved separately.