Why are video games so expensive?

Looking at all the prices for the 3ds games I want to get. It's depressing me. Since some are like $50! This makes me want to just wait and get that card so I can play those games for free. :D

Most Helpful Guy

• To be fair a lot of expense goes into making them, having a group of people working for years to make it, plus running expenses and paying for build materials then their ridiculous advertising campaigns... Destiny spent a ridiculous amount of money on getting their game advertised constantly and on top of that paid to have a niche collection of songs to go on those adverts. In the end though, business is business, they know they can make good money and that people will pay ridiculous prices i. e. Fallout 4 Pipboy Edition is the most overkill abuse of hype i've seen in a while.

Most Helpful Girl

• That's why we can't have nice things :(

Video games are fun and popular so they're going to squeeze out any penny they can get for them.

What Guys Said 29

• I guess it is because of the cost to make them and partly because they can charge what they want to and people will still buy them. I mean a lot of people think of it like "how can it be so expensive, it is only a CD with a game on it that is in a case" but what they fail to realise or don't want to is that is not what the major cost is. There are costs to develop the game, pay any royalties (or what ever it is called) they might have to and people that are working on the game.

• However, at the same time they will charge what they can if it does not affect sales.

• Something a lot of people don't understand is that developers put YEARS of their lives in these games. They dedicate all of their time to it so that you can get a few hours of enjoyment.
    Publishers pour tens, hundreds of thousands of dollars into supporting the devs, and getting these games out.
    As to why all games tend to be in the 50-60 dollar range is basically to keep the market stable. It's an artificial price cap/hold.

• Have you tried buying preowned games instead? What about shopping for discounted offers and see if they have sales/price cuts or offers like bundled deals?

What about renting them, if possible or available? Or possibly even trading stuff or older games that you no longer play for new ones? Or even swap and borrow or have a friend that has the games you want to play to lend it to you or something?

• I've never bought a game in my life. So all the games on my profile I played them for free. :D Since I bought a 3ds it makes me sad that a lot of the ones I want to play are like $50. :(

• Why would you put it under 18 then?

Well there is a card to make it so you can play 3ds games for free. Just atm I don't trust it yet since it's still new.

• I just did not want to give a real accurate birthdate unless I absolutely needed to.

• When I was a kid, all it took was a few people to make a computer game. Heck, Richard Garriot (aka Lord British) made the first three Ultima games by himself.

Now, it takes a LOT of people to create the kind of next gen video games that people demand. Those people need to be paid.

• As someone else pointed out, games now can take years to create, and they sink a lot of money into development.

• True...

DO you remember the crazy millions they say it costed to make some final fantasy games? A looot. They pay a lot of people, no surprice they make this prices.

But with most sufisticated games, realistic stuff... they need more specialized people. It's crazy,

Nintendo normally always made them pricy...

• Do you know how difficult it is to make a single video game and how much money goes into it? Then to mass produce them?

For all the work that goes into them, i think $50 is a steal.

• I almost never buy new games when they come out. If it's good now, it will still be good in a few years when it's a third the price. Or more often I wait until I find it used and it's even cheaper.

They are $50 when they come out because there are large numbers of people who can't wait for the new game to come out. They run out and pay that high price as soon as it's released. As long as people keep paying the high price, there is no reason for the publisher or store to lower it.

• It takes time, and money to develop a video game, sometimes teams of 20 or more people working years to complete it. All of those people have to be paid for their time, so to be able to keep making games they charge you.

• this is why i prefer to stick with the PC. Much better deals available through various steam sales

• Its a conspiracy i tell you! Games have always been around 50-60 bucks... Even before inflation

• Good thing there are smart people who can make emulators and make some games free. :D

• inflation doesn't exist, only taxation.

• When I was a kid, some games were 70 or 80 bucks. 60 was the cheapest it got. Now you can get tons of indie games that have better production values than a lot of the old games for like 20 bucks.

• It usually takes a team of people to make a game. They all have to be paid to work on it for the months or years it takes to make the game.

That's on top of the usual costs for licensing and marketing and so on.

• Because they know they can get away with it. 😒
    Whenever anyone sells anything, they want as much profit as they can get in return.

• I blame everything on taxation, no matter what anyone says.

• Those electrons are expensive you know!

• While reading comments, I've noticed that folks are missing one important thing: developers create games, publisher sells them.

While developers are just as big videogames fan as we are, publishers are basically your typical "corporates" that don't have any passion towards games or any passion towards anything but money. They only know how to advertise (inc. bribing "famous" critics to give good reviews ("Rome Total War 2" reviews, anyone?)) and milk profit.

Take a look at indie games that don't use corporate publishers (or are using more or less okay publishers, such as VALVe, bless Gaben). They're doing quite ok.

Source: insiders in a videogames development industry.

• big development teams work for years on those games. they cost millions, many AAA-games cost more than big hollywood block buster movies but less people play them, so they are of course more expensive.

the newest star wars film cost 200 million dollar to make
    star wars the old republic cost 300 million (still don't know what they made with all that money lol).
    you can be sure that many more will see the video, later buy the blu-ray or stream it, tv channels will buy it etc. so they can make the prices lower.

• oh and gz for becoming a guru! :D

• thank you ^^ now it's going to take me a year or so to be a master. :D Took me 11 months or become guru since I stared. :D

• I can get them down to 0$.

• All you need is the provisional stock market exchange system.

• Games can either be allocated freely, or based upon the market value under this system.

The free distribution of games isn't (free), but it won't cost you anything out of your personal access and reserves to assets under your name and or authority.

• It works this way by either establishing agencies (work crews (allows for free distribution of digital copies based upon asset exchange rate in the market), or corporations (market value distribution, limited asset utilization).

• Aren't they like super expensive to make?

• Waiting is a virtue XD.

• Yeah I know it makes me wanna burn the video game store down down right to the ground lol
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-M4WXov2lM
    but seriously you could always just hack games you know like use tor**** or have someone hack a game for you.

• Video games are very time consuming and very expensive to make.

• Because they're very expensive and time-consuming to make.

• What games cost doesn't worry me as much as the cost of gaming computers/laptops cost these days.

• It's to offset the cost of consoles, console makers usually sell consoles at a profit loss so the make up that profit loss through the sell of games which is a big money maker.

• Not true. Last generation consoles were loss-leaders, but hardware revisions made the boxes themselves profitable. This generation the PS4 and XB1 made profit out of the gate... though Wii U may have been a loss leader (and ultimately a flop).

This is a general breakdown of where the money for a $60 game goes.

www.newgamernation.com/.../game-cost.jpg

• It's business, better increase your source of income, start a small time business to give you +50$ /week you can get a new video game each week.

• 3DS games are expensive because that's Nintendo's market strategy. They almost never drop the prices for their games If you want cheap games, go mobile or get indie games from Steam.

• Just wait a couple years, theyll go down in prive!

• New ones will continue being 60 or so, they go down when they've been out, or the next one comes out (if it's a series)

• you're 24, you should get a job!

What Girls Said 6

• Get an R4i card, the newest one because the old ones can't run 3D games. It's super easy to download them... so many games... for free!

• Because video games developers are greedy.

• Because it costs like 5-10 million to make them but a game like call of duty makes all that back within an hour of release

• I've been wondering the same thing :(

• I feel the same. I want to get my boyfriend a nice Xbox 1 game, but the sure bets are soo expensive. I'm too broke for this.

• Because they can