How does it feel like to drown?

Has anyone been through that? is it painful or just awful because you panick?

Also, if you pass out under water and drown, does it hurt? do you wake up instinctively to try to save yourself?

Panic* god

Most Helpful Girl

• It's horrendous. Your first instinct in is always to panic. I've had 2 incidents. One in a pool and one in the ocean. Both were very traumatizing and are the sole reasons for why drowning is a major fear of mine.

With the ocean incident, I was jumping over waves and went out too far. One knocked me down. I kept trying to get up but they kept coming. I couldn't get my footing. Of course I was panicking. I remember swallowing so much water. My throat was raw afterwards. My dad finally saw what was happening and saved me. Haven't been in the ocean since.

The pool incident happened because my sisters and cousins pressured me into playing chicken. I got out of my comfort zone and ended up paying for it. We all went under and I immediately panicked because we were in the center of the pool. Away from all the sides. Swallowed a crap ton of water then too. I honestly didn't think I was gonna make it but I managed to get back above the water.

In both incidents panic made it 10x worse.

• Wow that's awful. Panic always makes things worse because you hyperventilate and can't think clearly. I'm sorry you went through that, and really glad you're fine.

• I agree. And thank you. I wouldn't wish those experiences on anyone.

• Thanks for MHO

What Guys Said 7

• Instant panic. You need air. Your chest feels like you are about to burst. Every time your head breaks the water, you don't know whether to grasp for another breath, or scream for help. There isn't enough time for both, and you need help, but screaming uses a lot of what little you have left.
    Your first partial lung full makes you need to cough and hack. part of you wants to vomit. It doesn't matter, because it brings back the raw terror. It is even more pounding and intense than before. Every moment is filled with an insane desperation to reach the surface, and at the same time, your strength is fading fast, and you see the surface fall further away...

And then? Calm. It doesn't hurt anymore. The fact that you are drowning becomes fact, and you accept it. You start going numb, and yours eyes close, but a darkness fades in faster then they close, as you just stop seeing. Despite the fact that you want to live, you feel peaceful, almost content with what is happening. And consciousness fades.

I can't tell you what happens next, because JUST AS I WAS LOSING CONSCIOUSNESS, after the panic was gone and I felt at peace, people suddenly started to realize my desperate screams for help were not me just fucking playing around, and they finally came in after me! Motherfuckers! They couldn't have done two minutes sooner?

Drowning is a horrific way to go. The terror it induces makes other, more painful ways, seem preferable. But the scariest part is that you are still awake and aware enough to feel that panic pass, and you feel a part of yourself desperate and eager to just let go and give in.

• From what I've been told is the most panic inducing thing ever. It's painful at first but apparently towards the end when you're moments from dying it becomes euphoric. It gives you a type of high. That's why people would play the choking game.

• Makes sense. I'm guessing some people might even hallucinate

• The pain from holding your breath apparently comes from the carbon dioxide in your lungs, apparently if you inhale water you won't feel the associated pain.

• I dont think thats true. Although I had heard that before. Ever swallowed water down the wrong pipe? Ouch. Now imagine that over and over. Lots of ow. Adrenaline might help with the pain though and you would pass out a lot quicker after inhaling water.

• Lots of people are saying their lungs hurt a lot

• I suspect there is a difference between freaking out and trying to hold your breath, which is painful after about a minute and filling the lungs completely with water.

• The feel is just like holding your breath and something is pressing your lungs with force.
    I wouldn't like to die drowning it just proceeds too slow

• any idea of how it is like if you're unconscious?

• That's like asking how it is to die when you are already dead

• How is it like asking that? I wanna know what I asked in the description: "if you pass out under water and drown, does it hurt? do you wake up instinctively to try to save yourself?"
      That comparison doesn't even make sense.

• scary as hell, you fell so helpless and you panic

• People who've survived drowings say their chest burns then there's a sense of calmness

• *cough* psycho *cough*

What Girls Said 3

• Lay on your back and put a wet washcloth over your face (but make sure there's someone else with you) and you'll know.

• Can`t say Id recommend it. In my case my boyfriend had gone over to grab some bottled water so I was just standing around kinda awkwardly, someone had been fooling around with their friends fighting and stuff and hit me hard enough to knock the wind out of me before I fell in. No lifeguards. It wasn`t at all intentional I know they felt terrible about it when they found out. All I remember is freezing up for a second and feeling all this panic and it burned worse than anything. Like I said I had the wind knocked out of me so I didn`t even really have a breath ( so picture gasping water like when you swallow a little bit the wrong way but worse) and I felt like I couldnt move but I could hear. I knew I was sinking but I just couldnt move. I was unconscious pretty quick and I have no idea I dont remember anything about that. It was only a few minute ordeal but I just remember a lot of confusion afterwards and feeling so tired. No I did not wake up instinctively to save myself I was pretty much out cold my boyfriend (who thankfully is pretty watchful) jumped in and pulled me out and from what he told me I was just completely limp. (So Id say I was no where near ready to save myself there) I just remember coughing/gasping really hard and it hurt just to breathe and I couldn`t really understand anything about what was going on or being said to me all I could do was lay there and breathe. I think that part hurt more than the actual drowning honestly. Like my stomach, my lungs, my throat, even my nose all hurt and my head felt like it was throbbing.

• That sounds awful. I'm glad you're fine now

• Yeah it was pretty scary. Im extra cautious now even though Im a pretty good swimmer just in case an accident like that would happen again. Thanks, me too!

• It is terrifying and very panic inducing. I almost drowned whilst surfing and it was quite painful to inhale all that salt water. I didn't actually drown so i can't comment on the whole waking up and trying to save yourself thing...

• What was the painful part? the thickness of the water? your lungs?

• I'm glad you're fine

• So am i lol