Do people tend to clear their throats when nervous?

I've just noticed if I pass guys sometimes, they tend to say hi or whatever... then clear their throats?

Anytime I see my ex, all he does is clear his throat. What is it with the throat cleaning?

Most Helpful Guy

• you don't know exactly how your voice will come out. if it's raspy or mucus buildup then the logical respond would be to clear your throat...

• I mean, after a guy has spoke to me... they do it then.

• it's not a nervous tick for most people. it's just a stimulus response. you hear your voice. if there's variation in the sound that you hear, your automatic response is to adjust and clear whatever may be causing it. usually, it's in your throat and mucus. it's a nervous tick for very few people because they become more self conscious of their own voice and feel the need to constantly adjust.

• Yeah, I do that a lot. But I'm referring to men who could talk to me with a pitch perfect tone... and still clear their throats anyway!

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 2

• i do it all the time and it annoys me... i guess i have thick goo in my throat^^
    in my case it has nothing to do with nervous, its just a thing i guess..

• Yes along with other nervous twitches.

What Girls Said 3

• I don't do this lol haven't seen it really, not too common in here I guess lol
    We have other kind of gestures.

• I don't do that

• I think it might be coz they are nervous around you? I'm not sure to be honest 😅

• OR.. Just trying to clear his voice coz it might sound wired 😅

• Yeah it's hard to tell! I just wondered if it's like a nervous tick for some people, but with me personally I usually need to do it a lot as my throat gets dry 😂 Haha