Are you in control of your tears?

Like... if you're feeling sad, cry level sad, are you able to suppress the tears if need be or do they break through no matter what?

learned today as I was driving to work that I am not, despite what I had previously thought, in control of my tears.

My tears have made me their little bitch quite
often this past week.

Most Helpful Guy

• About 70% in control but I would be lying if I didn't say that tears didn't get the better of me on occasions or if I have my stupid hat on turn to alcohol. First things first, ain't nothing wrong with a good cry, some things aren't meant to be kept in. Tears to me are the final (excuse the French) Fuck it, I had enough shit, I will have a good cry then when I feel better think about how I can approach the situation that is making me cry. Often they can be things that can't be controlled if that, how can I adapt to make things better for myself or if applicable those I care about. If you think you have control over it , what can I do to make things better for myself or if applicable those I care about,
    Tears to me are a dam releasing some water pressure - Your emotions are bottling up threatening to overwhelm you so you need a couple minutes to yourself, a good cry then you can think on. Tears are not there to make you their little bitch, they are there to remind you that you are a normal person not a superheroine who doesn't cry. Everybody cries/ everybody hurts just some people do it without tears.
    Whatever is happening to you I hope it eases for you and gets better, best wishes.

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh, God, no. I'm constantly about to burst into tears. The slightest thing could set me off. Like last night, the boyfriend knew that I was really hoping he'd think I looked good in a new dress I bought for a party coming up so when we went to bed, he told me that I'd looked pretty earlier in the dress and I was suddenly sobbing on him. So that was interesting :P My tears are pretty much always ready to flow and there's nothing I can do to stop them, I'm a baby.

What Guys Said 18

• I haven't seriously cried for reasons of sadness in over 5 years and am pretty good at controlling them.

Honestly though sometimes crying can be almost therapeutic and good for you, and sometimes you just gotta let them come, and not hold them back so while it's good to be in control of them, remember sometimes it's best to cry and not hold them back.

• Yeah, it was just a bad time because I was headed into work and really did not want to deal with the "what's wrong?" Questions lol

I'm good at letting em flow when it's late at night and I'm alone in bed

• Yeah I can understand that, our emotions can be very frustrating things sometimes, something I've learned as of late.

Yeah it's pretty easy then.

• I'm good at it when it comes to being sad but I can't stop happy tears.. I cried as the new Star Wars movie started today lmao

• I don't have to suppress crying because I don't feel it anymore.

The first time someone close to me died I felt it hard. The first time a pet died I felt it hard. But now there's just nothing. I accept the situation and continue on, gradually I stop noticing their absence.

If ya can't fix it, there's no use worrying about it.

• I generally don't feel like crying but when I do I can surprise them if I want to.

• I'm in control of my tears, or that is, of my emotions. Of course, if emotions run strong enough, none of us are in control, or we're just numb to it.

• Yeah, I chose "tears" instead of "emotions" because I was speaking of sadness specifically.

But you're right, if they're strong enough it's damn near impossible to fight against them.

• Well tears are just how intense sadness is bodily expressed, rather than say laughter, At some point with intense emotions we will either succumb to our emotions or go into shock and just be numb and disconnected.

Then again, intess happiness will become tears, while intense sadness can become laughter, we can only have so much control, though most of us can learn to control are basic day to day emotions.

• I only ever cry if I feel like it. #Manly

• I can control myself, and when i feel like i can't handle it i go away from people and cry i dont cry in front of anyone its a weakness side.

• I would love to be in control but everytime if someone dies in a movie I'm mostly crying a bit. Yesterday harry potter came on TV (fourth movie I think) and someone died in the end and I started to water and eventually I cried. Like wtf its really getting anoying.

• Not really, no. I wear my heart on my sleeve.

• I'm not in control of my tears, I just don't cry much.
    I've been really emotional lately though... Some not so nice things have come up.

• I've never been able to cry as well. Even when giving a eulogy for my sister's funeral who died of cancer, the most I had was a tremble to my voice, but that was it.

• haven't cried since 9 years old crew checkin in.. Feels good maine..

• I can remember 2x where I have cried in my life... I guess that answers your question

• I am quite in control of my tears

• i would say yes untill the day i had to put my dog to sleep

• I dont cry, so i guess so.

• I sometimes wish I could cry. It creeps people out when you show almost no emotions.

• Yes I can control mine.

What Girls Said 11

• No, not at all. If I feel even remotely sad, there will be tears and there won't be anything I can do to stop it. Lol I'm a pretty emotional person though so, I tend to cry whenever I'm upset and it's definitely hard for me to suppress that.

• Oh totally nope. Zero control.
    It has put me in a lot of awkward situations.

• Yes. always have been. I never liked the idea of crying so i refused to. in retrospect , dont really think its great but thats how it is.

• It depends on where and who, if anyone, I'm around. I am sometimes in control of my tears, but not always. Being around others and talking about issues makes it harder to hold back for whatever reason.

• I don't get the urge to cry often, but when I do it hits me hard and I can't stop it.

• I have very little control over my emotions. It's annoying and very inconvenient at times, but it is what it is. I'm getting better, but only in the sense that my anxiety is affecting me less, I still have little to no control over my emotions.

• I can cry on command, given enough time to get into the right frame of mind.

• Not really what I meant, but can see how this question could be interpreted that way.

• You can control them both ways, my love.

• No, my tears are in control of me, unfortunately:c

• I have really good control of my tears.

• sometimes no i can't

• to some extent yes.