When you think of the country Turkey, do you think 'europe' or the 'middle east'?

We know geographically turkey is in asia minor in asia, but do you feel its more european like? Or more middle eastern like?

I mean culturally do you feel its more european or more middle eastern?

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel like Turkey is more European with Islamic influence because of the majority being Muslim.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's about country's governments that determine who they affiliate with more. Turkey is a constitutional monarchy, who's that sound like? Yep, England, and since England is a part of Europe, that means turkey would prob alt identify more with Europe than say the pure kingdom of Syria, where only the king still rules. England's queen has very little power but is still there because of tradition

• Turkey is parliamentary democracy, and Syria is a dictatorship, neither of those countries have kings.

• But you get my point

What Girls Said 3

• Middle East but I've never been there so can't really give you a clear picture of how European or not it is.

My roommate is Turkish and I don't think of her as European.

• Middle East, only a small corner of it is in Europe.

• Not what i asked, i mean when you think of its culture do you think middle east more or Europe more?

• Well the country's food and religion definitely peg it as more Middle Eastern in my mind.

• The middle east for sure.

What Guys Said 12

• The current regime seems more Middle Eastern, but overall I think the younger people lean more European.

Caveat: I'm just guessing for the most part.

Caveat II: they are the land of baklava and thus deserve all our thanks, regardless of being more eastern or more western. 💚

• it's european but culturally it does seem middle eastern.

• Turkey is not a European country any more than Ethiopia, Guatemala and Taiwan are European countries and their culture is Middle Eastern mixed with some European influence from when they went around raping and pillaging Europe through the Ottoman Empire.

• In some ways its more european and some ways its more middle eastern
    It is a part of nato and that makes it seem very western european.
    However it is a muslim majority country so its reminiscent of the middle east
    Although its also a secular democracy.
    like all countries it is its own thing

• Middle East.

• Middle East!

• I think of the bird

• i think it's in middle Europe... oh wait :/. i say middle east.

• I think of it as middle eastern. It blends much more with that culture.

• Middle east, of course.

• Good question. Because really neither. Like Eastern bloc? Slavic?

• Middle East, definitely.