Should I get a dog?

Getting my own place real soon next to the university I'm going to. I want to get a german sheperd. Go on my morning runs with me. Keep me company.. keep the bad guys away knoImean?
I make about $3,000 a month right now. Do I need a big backyard?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yas good idea, love dogs. Just make sure you have time for it and can walk him/ her about 3 times a day. They have a lot of energy, so it'd have to be longer walks

Most Helpful Guy

• I used to have a german shepherd. Since you were military, i would suggest that type of dog, they enjoy being active and alpha. Smart and also have the worlds second strongest bite next to the rottweiler in terms of dogs. 20% wolf too
    My favorite Doge.
    You don't need a yard but you will have to exercise him more in that case. Stick with once in the morning and once in the evening.

What Girls Said 5

• Love German Shepherds! Consider this:

- Are you renting a place? Most apartments that allow dogs have size or breed restrictions.

- Can you comfortably pay your bills and expenses with some left over? Maybe you should live on your own for a little bit before adding another expense.

- Do you really go on runs often? If so, you probably won't need a big yard.

- Do you have any knowledge or experience with dogs? Shepherds are ones that need an experienced owner. If not correctly trained and socialized, they can develop various behavioral problems.

• I do go on runs a lot. I'm buying a condo. It's mine I'll be the owner. I think I have the expenses yes. Not much knowledge with dogs.

• Sounds like you're ready for a dog, but perhaps not a shepherd. I recommend starting with an easier breed, like a lab.

• German shepherds are big dogs with high levels of energy, so it's a good idea to have a garden for them to tire themselves out with. If you don't have a yard, it'll be okay as long as there's a lot of toys to occupy the dog inside and you go on really long walks.

They're also incredibly smart and like being challenged, it's one reason they're so good at being police dogs, they learn quickly. Try and keep the dog intellectually challenged, like doing some training would be awesome.

• I'm happy that you're considering getting a dog! German Shepherds are amazing dogs and they have a lot of energy, but as long as you take them on walks often you don't need a big backyard. Good luck 😊

• That's lovely! And no you don't need a big backyard at all, by the sounds of it you seem active so that should do. Just take it out on walks and things like that a lot

• if you take your GS (German Shepard) on runs frequently then you shouldn't need to big a backyard, just know that because he/she wouldn't be preforming the herding that's in it's nature you would probably need to wrestle around on the floor with them occasionally to (a) keep them healthy (b) keep his/her stress level down, and (c) prevent him/her from wrestling with you furniture and scratching it up

What Guys Said 3

• A german shepard is not a great first dog. They have a lot of energy and are very smart, so they need a lot of space, training and attention.
    The best dogs I've ever had were all mutts from rescue shelters, thats a much better way to start.
    And remember dogs usually live 12-15 years or more, its not much less comittment than having a kid.

• I'm very energetic myself so it seems like a match.. I go on runs all the time. The intelligence is a good thing.

• I'm just saying they are a breed better suited to someone experienced with dogs. I'm assuming by you've never had a dog before?
      Maybe look for a german shepard mix. Mix breeds tend to have less health problems and behavioural issues anyway.

• Remember the thing about having a high energy, intelligent dog is, you have to keep him mentally stimulated or he'll get bored. You never want a bored dog because they'll find ways to entertain themselves, like escaping or destroying things.

Golden rule: A tired dog is a happy dog!

• yeah get a dog!!! i love my little fragile dog!!
    they are so lovable, make you happy, go on runs together, women notice and it makes you at least appear responsible lol, srs, do it man!

• Most dogs need a human or another dog around 24/7, especially when they are growing up. Dogs are extremely social animals, they are a toy you can put in the closet when you don't want to play with them.

• True that. My dog isn't alone too terribly much since my boyfriend and I usually work opposite schedules (so someone is usually home with her). But on those days where we both work long shifts, I can tell it breaks her heart to be alone that long.