Should "Black lives matter" be changed to "Black lives matter too"?

It backfired when some people are now saying "All lives matter" which defeated the original purpose.

0|0
4|4

Most Helpful Girl

• Well I would say no, if we're speaking about the USA.
    The "black lives matter", doesn't mean "ONLY black lives matter", although it might sound like it, it is not. There is in a sense a hidden "too" at the end of it, BUT the thing about the "black lives matter" statement without the "too", is that it focuses on the black people. Yes everyone's lives do matter but the problem right now is black peoples lives. That's basically what it's saying.

1|1
    0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• What about Native American lives? Yep. No one on this fine "American" land obviously gives a fuck about the real people of "America".

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• i don't think its about all lives people are just so selfish. Black lives matter is what it should be

0|1
    0|0
  • Well all lives DO matter. And blacks are a part of that.

2|1
    0|1
  • I think it should just be changed to "All lives matter" and should be concerned about everyone's well being...

0|1
    3|2

What Guys Said 3

• Who cares? While we argue about the name, poor people of all colors are victims of police brutality. That's been the strategy of the powerful from the beginning: divide and conquer. When popular support gathers to combat police brutality, what happens? Media outlets plant the seed that the movement to combat police brutality isn't completely inclusive, and only applies to black people. Then they further reinforce that message by showing injustices happening to exclusively to black people, and not to whites. Thus, some whites feel ignored and assume that an organization named Black Lives Matter isn't fighting for their interests. As a result, we end up arguing over the name of an organization that's fighting on the premise that all lives matter, but whose name was chosen based on a viral Twitter re-tweet. Therefore, we've let the media pit us against each other over a tweet and successfully guide us away from the issue of addressing police brutality. Media 1. Americans 0.

1|2
    0|1
    • That's an interesting perspective. I agree, especially in the sense that the emergence of cable media has been divisive in America.

• @DodgersGM it goes way farther back than that. Search youtube for racebating 101 and watch it

• Absolutely not.

1|1
    1|1
  • "All lives matter"

Nothing else is acceptable.

2|0
    3|2
    • All lives are not what is currently at issue though. Sure, they all matter, but it's black people's lives (and other non-white people's) that are currently being treated as though they don't. White people don't need help in this area, black people do. So it's Black Lives Matter.

• @cipher42 That's simply not true. If you look at the facts, white people are treated no differently by police than anyone else. The main difference is that blacks are more likely to flee or resist arrest. When whites pull the same things they are treated the same way. We just don't hear about it in the media. This has been corroborated by my white and black police officer friends, by the way.