Science question, is there ever a distance where gravity no longer affects or are we attracted to everything in the Universe?

Does the gravitational pull of one object go on forever. For instance does a hair on my head still have a micro micro micro small gravitational pull on an equally small object in another galaxy or is there a certain point where there is no more gravitational effect?

Most Helpful Girl

• No it doesn't go on forever. Think of it as taking a really REALLY big blanket then placing balls at random points. The bigger balls make a dent dragging the smaller balls closer to it. BUT if you have one big ball on the far distant side of the blanket it doesn't necessarily influence the balls on the other side.

Gravity bends space but not absolutely. That is why some galaxies are so disorganized.

• Do you know what distance it ends at depending of course on the mass of the object? Like is there a formula?

• I view global warming in a different way, but I don't really want to get into that now. but I don't understand what you are trying to say by referring to the alternative Universe theory. I am talking about other species in other galaxies in our Universe, I was actually at the theater watching Star Wars when I thought this up.

• The other species in other galaxies also have infinite different versions of themselves as possible outcomes in other universes so it still doesn't matter.

Most Helpful Guy

• Newton's third law - every action has an opposite equal reaction. There is always spacetime curvature brought about matter that affects any and every other piece of matter invariant to the distance between them. As you say, though, the effect is increasingly "smaller".

• It isn't invariant to distance. Read Brian Greene's Fabric of the Cosmos. It is a very accessible read for people who don't have advanced degrees in theoretical physics.

Even very massive black holes have an event horizon.

• No the answer isn't yes the mass however little or small of an object does not act on all other objects infinitely, the effects are finite. Think of the blanket example if you are having trouble visualizing how the mass of an object bends space and time. Once you are out of the 'immediate vicinity' of the mass's pull it no longer effects you. His question is about distance and a mass doesn't act on other objects infinitely free from the constraints of distance.

If distance didn't matter we would have a much more uniformly organized universe. His question is dealt with in Einsteins theory of General Relativity though we now suspect this is far from a perfect model as it only works when dealing with the laws of the very large.

• @sjoes006 Stubbornly trying to unite quantum mechanics and the macroscopic world, eh? :)

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 2

• I believe it goes on forever... Just gets less and less... So low u dont ever feel it... I know when they went to the moon, 250,000 miles away. The whole time they had micro g from either moon or earth.. And pluto is affected by the sun.. So ya...

• Gravity is the shape of space-time. It's not a force like magnetism. The mass of matter shapes the space around it but the distortion is an inverse square of the distance.