Is it okay to tell lies?

Most of us are brought up learning that there are innocent lies and there are wicked ones. Sometimes it can be socially advantageous to lie if it helps us get a job or maintain order. For instance, I saw the new Star Wars movie four times and I told people around me I saw a different movie each time to not sound so nerdy and obsessed xD. That's a white lie. Me lying about my intentions or about who I am as a person to a woman I'm seeing would be an example of a bad lie.

Do you think all lies catch up with you? Is it worth it to lie at all? The type of people you have to lie to are people we shouldn't have in our lives anyway. What do you think about it?

Most Helpful Girl

• Usually, honestly is the best policy. However, there are certain times I think a white lie (a harmless one to make someone feel better) might be better than the blunt truth. Like with little children, I'm not going to tell them a certain person doesn't exist during a holiday to crush their little dreams, that seems cruel.

In your example, that's also fine since it doesn't harm any one. Although, I told others how many times I saw TFA, and other movies - I let my nerd flag fly haha! Also, I don't lie, I omit things which can be seen as lying. But to spare someone's feeling for example, I'll keep my mouth shut instead of saying something. It's probably a bad habit I should work on.

Most Helpful Guy

• Honesty have always caused me so much problems, the more I lie the more peaceful my life seem to be. But I learned over the years that cause of how I am, is that someone like me would need to lie, even to the closest ones. Cause I often have pretty complex views and opinions as well as a complex mind, and its so hard for people to understand or see. I find it sad, but it is oh so true, that I would always have to keep a leash on myself, cause its pretty much impossible or like inhuman I guess for people to either really accept me or understand me.

• It's really hard for us to find our niche in life. I can sympathize with that.

What Girls Said 6

• Hahaha, you told me you saw Star Wars multiple times. I'm honored that you didn't feel the need to lie to me, though that's not a big deal as you mentioned. It's better to be honest, but I don't think all lies are bad.

• Only if its harmless!

• I think that even white lies should be very very rare if you have to do them at all. Usually you should just not say anything, or try to say the truth but in a nice way.

• Only white lies

• that depends on what the lie is about

• Omitting the truth can be advantageous. For example, I recently learned that my SO gets really insecure when I have dreams about having sex with other people. So, I will never share my dreams like that again, even if he shares a similar dream first. Because I can handle it and he can't.

• That's a tad bit hypocritical.. He can share that but you can't? It's normal to notice attractive things in other people even while in a relationship.

• I'm glad it's being worked on. Good luck. Sorry for getting into your business.

Thanks for answering my question :)

• Nah, it's cool. I offered it up, haha. No prob

What Guys Said 3

• Most lies don't catch up with you.

Actually lying is a great way to live. It leads to wealth, power, and pleasure all without any of the side-effects of hard-work and due diligence.

That's why we invented God, because it's so true it's just too tempting to imagine that when we lie, cheat, steal, etc. there's nothing to get you and no one is coming to your house.

• Well, the Bible shows it.

• if u tell the truth and it will break the persons heart then u have to white-lie