How do I help this person?

Someome I'm close to got caught shoplifting. They didn't get charged or anything, nothing went on their record. But they know they did a bad thing and they can't live with themselves. They are super upset and can barely get out of bed. Part of me thinks they deserve it for stealing, but also I know that this person just got carried away in the moment. I'm trying to talk them through it but I don't really know what to say. Is there anything you guys can suggest?

What Guys Said 2

• Tough love. Tell them to grow the hell up and learn from the mistake. Don't coddle it or it will make the problem worse. It sounds mean but it isn't. If your going to help them help don't enable

• Why did he steal? Was it neccassary? If not, let him wallow... Dont tell him its ok, cuz its not.. just watch him if u think he's suicidal... But i think u should just treat him like normal, but make it clear u dont approve, at all

What Girls Said 1

• I'd let them wallow in their self-depreciation. They brought it upon themselves