Why does a car have a huge effect on the kind of people you attract?

It doesn't make sense to me. Are people still depending on the style of clothing and kind of car you have to see if you're worth their time? My very first car was a 99' chevy blazer and I drove that for 9 years. I hardly was looked at or noticed by any male or female. Later, I then upgraded to a sports car. I got way more looks than I did in my blazer from both guys and girls. I eventually got rid of that car, and now I have a heavily modified Ford (I said Ford so you should know the kind of car it is without me saying) and I cannot tell you how many women notice me and smile more than ever. And as you would expect, your typical guys also pull up beside me and instigate a race.

So the question is, why is it that cars are used to identify what kind of people you attract? You could be the nicest person ever in a pos car, but you wouldn't even be looked at twice if it wasn't something luxery or high-end performance. It absolutely disgusts me how today's world works.

Any thoughts on this?

68

Most Helpful Girl

• the kind of car a person drives doesn't pop up in my head a reason to date or not date a person. i usually don't come across people i want to date while driving, it's not like i'm checking out everyone on the highway.

i think maybe people use cars as a way to gauge someone's ability to earn and save money, which can hint at other traits like diligence, ambition, etc. but a car is hardly an infallible indicator of those traits. some of the douchiest dudes i've come across have had the "nicest" cars, whereas some of the best guys i've known have not even had cars lol.

honestly, people will have their preferences. you cannot control what others like. but you can decide what you like, how you choose to present yourself. if you have a problem with the kinds of girls who judge guys based on the kind of car they drive, then don't go for those girls. there's so many women out there, to get hung up on a small subset is silly.

• Yup, I agree. High value car=you make money which in turn means you could probably support me if we had a family and/or shower me with gifts (girls perspective)

Not sure about how a man would think because I have never judged a girl off of the type of vehicle she drives.

• it's alright.

rich as in, these girls have their own money? it isn't uncommon for people to want partners in their own socioeconomic class.

i don't think it's unnatural for your friend to want her boyfriend to contribute to investing in a house. i am assuming that she is also contributing to investing in a house and also spends money on him. if she's just taking from him constantly and demanding that he spend more money on her, well, that's messed up. and i wonder why he is with someone like that.

i think it's sad when people have to choose between spending money on their partner and spending money on transportation or clothing. how do the two overlap? i think gifts or whatever doesn't have to be a frequent occurrence. and they don't have to break the bank either. if guys are attracted to the kind of girl who is really obsessed with her self-image, then i suppose they get what they ask for, right?

• As Kevin Hart would say, "I prefer someone in my own financial lane". Someone who has an 800k dollar house is too much for me honestly lol and I've ran into more of them than people I would prefer being with. Everything you say makes perfect sense!

Most Helpful Guy

• Usually a nice car = a good career. Women like guys that make good money.

That's why if I ever become financially successful, I will still drive around in a modest Ford, Volvo, or Chevy. And go for the ladies who still show interest even if I don't look rich.

Sponsored

What Girls Said 5

• eh same thing happened to me. now that I am driving a wrangler sport.
    anw I think it s the same reason you were attracted by that car to buy it, they are attracted by the car too.
    wealth and luxury are always desired and they can add to your appeal.
    why? cause it gives away a certain lifestyle that they wanna taste.

• Sooooo you've never lived in a city of any decent size, then.

• First I'll say that I have a general interest in cars, as in I don't know much about the technical work but I have some favorites based merely on appearance. I blame the fast and furious movies lol, but that doesn't mean I'm going to judge a person by the car they drive. I saw this woman driving a Lexus RCF, I was busy staring at the car, I could care less who was driving it. The guy I'm dating drives a camry, who tf cares? I'm still attracted to him regardless, I'm dating him not the car.

• I have a cute girly car 🚗 Even though that it is not the best one I believe that there are people who are attracted to me and people who are attracted to my car, I always choose first ones.

• Because, stupid people.

What Guys Said 7

• A Ford, eh? I'm guessing a Mustang. What year and trim level? Someday I dream of getting an SVT Cobra or a GT500.

I really don't think girls care much about cars either way, as a dating factor. I have a 2000 Mustang GT, not the fastest Mustang ever made but still a good-looking, nice sounding car that's fun to drive. I've gotten compliments here and there, but I haven't been on so much as a date, let alone had a girlfriend.

To be clear I didn't get my car because I thought it would help me get girls or anything. I got it because I am a big Mustang fan, I genuinely like them.

• It is often a status symbol, and sometimes people just like cars and our genuinely interested. You'll never see a beat up Blazer at a car show. The "cooler" the car (entirely subjective), the more attention it will attract. Usually thats all there is to it.

• Pretty much that's what it seems to have boiled down to. =/

• No idea. I don't give the slightest shit what car a person has

• Same. It doesn't make me think any less of you. I've dated people with nice cars, ugly cars, or no car at all and I had to transport them.

• The car you drive is considered a symbol of status.

• I kinda don't care that much about cars. They just need to drive nicely.

• Because women are attracted to money. They deny it but as guys we know it's true because we see it all round us. We can't deny what we experience every day. It's like someone telling us ice is as hot as flame. The behavior is clear and present everywhere. Women are attracted to money, period.

• When I was younger I always drove antique cars, now a car is just a way to get from point 'A' to point 'B'.

• Agreed. I don't disagree with people who take pride in their vehicle and add decorations or other mods to it, but I just don't understand why both Men and Women use cars to identify you as "worth it or not worth it".

• I think the nice thing about the antique cars is they made the statement you were not ordinary but in a good, low key way.

Also the back seat of a 1955 Buick Roadmaster is, well, rather roomy.