Do you buy into the news when it over-hypes weather?

We're supposed to get a quarter to half an inch of ice tomorrow, and they're saying to have your vehicles parked at home by 10am because of how hazardous the driving conditions will be.

But some of us have bills to pay, so some of us can't afford the luxury. I'll believe all the bad weather and hazardous conditions when I see them, but until then I'll take what they say with a grain of salt. We haven't had any wintery conditions in like... two months now.

My mom buys into it though. She's going into work early so she can leave at 9am and use half a vacation day. I think it's partly an excuse to not have to go back to work quite yet.

Most Helpful Guy

• I went home to Oklahoma one year, and they kept saying how we were going to get a huge blizzard and we needed to stay off the roads.
    We got like half an inch of snow lol
    They just do that because they know a lot of people are idiots who don't know how to drive in winter conditions, especially in Oklahoma.
    Meteorology/climatology is pretty inaccurate even these days, especially what's going on in the media as a whole
    There's a comedian/conservative pundit who had two seven year olds guess how many hurricanes the US would have some year.
    One guessed like five, and the other 7, and some organization like Hurricane watch or something said there'd be around 8. There were 6.
    The seven year olds did better than the climatologists.
    (No I don't remember exact numbers or organizations, but I did confirm it back then, apart from the seven year olds, take my word for it or don't lol)
    So in short, I don't place any more confidence in media weather predictions than, hey we'll probably have a little rain, it might be a bit icy, etc.

Most Helpful Girl

• Seeing as how the weather reports are usually wrong, I don't really pay much attention to them either.

What Guys Said 8

• I am lucky to live in a mildish winter country - A quarter of inch of ice would have us screaming about impending doom, the country would grind to a halt.

• Meteorologists are a damned-if-you-do/damned-if-you-don't group.

There aren't many things in the world as hard as predicting the weather. They're doing the best they can. If they're predicting something horrid coming, it's a good bet something horrid could come. WILL it come? No one can be positive, but better safe than sorry.

• Man, I'll skip work over a windy day if I can, haha.
    #SuckersPutMeOnSalary 😝💰💰💰💰

• News is about over-hyping: if it isn't the weather , it's ISIS or Trumping Donald

• No i dont... We dont get ice and snow tho... But they always say the next one will be like katrina!!! And it never even comes close... But u b careful chick, if it gets dangerous, PULL OVER AND STOP DRIVING!!! Or else!!

• Well in my state the weather is quite unpredictable to say the least so it's kind of a good idea to prepare for the worst around here.

• I dont think a half inch of ICE is possible... overnight.
    It takes lakes rivers... weeks to get that sorta ice.
    Half inch of snow... black ice on roads.. totally buyable

• It won't be overnight. I think it's supposed to start at 10am and that's why they advise us to beat home at that point.

Also considering I live in Michigan and am surrounded by lakes... totally possible.

• I've been to Wisconsin/Minnesota as my parents are from their.. I know how it works up there

Well... then be home by then!!! :P

• Can't, not possible. As I said I'll believe it when I see it.

• A quarter inch of ice is a big deal! That is one of the worst possible driving conditions! It basically stops your cars ability to brake!

What Girls Said 2

• No I just wait for it!

• I listen to the news and take it into consideration. I don't go super crazy like some people do, though. I'm not running out go buy 20 rolls of toilet paper, bread, and milk.