A lunch lady lost her job for giving food to a child who didn't have any money. Thoughts?

"Last Tuesday, Dalene Bowden was working as a server when a 12-year-old girl told her she didn't have any lunch money and was hungry.

"So, I handed her the food and said, 'Here. We'll take care of it in a minute,'" she said.

Bowden's supervisor saw what happened and reported her.

"He said I was on permanent leave until he called me. I should not call them. He will call me. And they never called me. I got the letter," Bowden said.

The letter was signed and written by the school district director of human resources. In that letter, Bowden was terminated for "theft."

Bowden told a local newspaper she offered to pay for the $1.70 meal, but her supervisor rejected the offer."

Source

What do you think? I think it's absolutely ridiculous.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I think children shouldn't be allowed to go hungry. I know in the schools where I live we have a program where if you don't have money for lunch you get a bologna and cheese sandwich with regular milk at least. The lady didn't deserve to lose her job over such a thing. Especially since she offered to pay for the lunch so it really shouldn't have been an issue.

What Guys Said 27

• She may have lost her job, but she won at life.

• Shocking, she would have been strung up by the news papers if she had left a child go hungry. The school will end up getting lots of bad press for this and rightly so.

• It is beyond ridiculous. But all is well. In the end, that guy got a free ticket for a seat in hell, no doubt about that.

• That's stupid and fucked up. Guess kids should just starve. Serves them right for being poor...

Seriously what a stupid prick supervisor and district director...

• The world has gone crazy...

• it absolutely stinks. it goes to show how much of a business our world is that we can't take into consideration special circumstances and even when someone wants to do something out of the goodness of their hearts they are penalized

• I think what happened is normal. this is a business, not a charity. The lunch lady should have paid for the food, but she didn't. How can you give something thats not yours to give? How can the business trust a woman who does that? What if she also takes food home?

• This happened once and she said she would pay, but didn't get the chance to do so. It's not a charity no, but should a 12 year old really go hungry because they don't have the money for a regular school lunch? You're also making a lot of assumptions there.

• To me it seems like she was just about to explain this to the supervisor, but the supervisor cut her off and told her to leave and didn't even give her a chance to explain.

• Or pay, for that matter.

• The entire school system is whacked as hell. Her school superintendent should be
    Fired for impersonating a human being. She did wrong by their standards of greed , I applause her for being a caring person. She deserves 👍👍

• The wrong person was fired.

• That's some bullshit!!

• I think the saying goes, "No good deed goes unpunished." The supervisor is an asshole. I'd hire that server in a heartbeat.

• It is, period... her supervisor should simply have asked her what she meant by "arranging it in a minute" and start from there to work out the problem.
    Now he's fired a perfectly fine employee for a problem that is hardly a problem!
    A somewhat smart boss would have proposed her to pay for the kid's food and problem solved. A stupid boss does what happened here.
    If we knew what chain of shops it was we'd better all post about it on social media. That's something companies are sensitive to!

• Yea they were a bit too quick to dump her. They should have talked to her about the situation first.

• F*cking humans after all

• I understand both sides as someone who has his own business I know it was about the business and her giving away the " Prophets".
    If it was one of my staff I would like/except them to ask/explain the situation before hand.
    She I could do something about it.
    If it happens without me knowing I would talk to them and ask them to bring to me.
    I wouldn't exactly reprimand or sack them.
    With out going to much into the child's private life find if all is ok at home etc.

• She was rehired a week later

• That's good to hear! Weird that I didn't stumble upon any article that said it.

• It completely ridiculous.

• That's gay fuck America plenty of lunch ladies haev done that for me and they didnt' get in troube..

• so fucked up

• it is theft, but common!

• If this ended up on the news then that company and supervisor would be getting a crap load of hate. She did the right thing by offering to pay for it

• She deserves what she got.

• How come?

• That still doesn't change the fact that if she gives free food to one child, that she has to give it away to other children.

• What kind of messed up logic is that? Clearly none of the other kids cared since nobody made a big deal out of it except the supervisor.

• Ummm... at least they should give a warning ⚠
    What to say it's bad to be good nowadays!!!

• That's tucking outrageous

• Why didn't she give the girl money to buy the food? It's not generosity to give away something that doesn't belong to you.

Having said that the supervisor should have just reprimanded her unless she was a bad employee in some other ways and he was looking for an excuse to get rid of her.

• You'd think with the high cost of school that lunches would be free to students or at least to parents making a certain income or lower. I don't see why the government would fund tons of money to school but say screw you to people who can't afford a school lunch.

• I'm sure there's more to this story.

• Considering that the school has refused to make a statement and defend themselves, I think it's pretty obvious that there's not much else to the story than a lunch lady not wanting a kid to go hungry.

• And maybe the employee had some other problems, so this pushed it over the edge

• Then I'm, yet again, just wondering why they haven't shared their side of the story.

What Girls Said 14

• I agree with you. Behavior like that should be rewarded. Besides she did not even give it away she offered to take care of it.

• I know, that's what irks me the most. She offered to pay yet it was still labeled as "theft"? Because logic.

• Honestly, that is ridiculous. She was fired over $1.70? Really? And even after she offered to pay? Come on.

• Yes that insane. The lunch lady was being kind. And was going to give the school money for it anyway. What does it matter if it comes out of her pocket or the students. Poor lady got fired for doing the right thing.

• That's ridiculous!
    Isn't it against the law for children not to eat at school in most places? That supervisor should lose their job.
    (The link didn't open because my internet is being slow lol).

• I believe it is the OBLIGATION of the educational institutions to make sure that all of their children are cared for as every single person in that building is a mandated reporter. If a child is hungry then you ensure for the sake of their well being that they are fed, and then it is their job to make sure that their environment outside of school is healthy and functioning by the appropriate means.

• Of course it is... This is just plain stupid... I wonder what the supervisor would have done if it was his child she had given the food?

• It was bullshit what they done to her.

• It IS ridiculous. If she wanted to pay for it - what's the harm?

• Its the same way the guy in Florida who opened a soup kitchen for the homeless and got fined for it shows there is no social justice left in some parts of the world
    disgusting

• That's bullshit.

• Was she going to pay for the meal originally? It's just a petty thing to be fired for.

• well it was noble of her to give food to a hungry child, but she basically gave away food that didn't belong to her, so i can understand them firing her for it

• Absolutely ridiculous is right. She was going to pay the $2 charge, it's not like she actually was stealing from the company. I understand it's a business, but she was going to pay for it.

• Wow, ridiculous. Her supervisor must either really hate her or kids of poor parents.