Australian Gun laws?

this was just shared with me
what do you think?

Australian Gun Law Update;
Here's a thought to warm some of your hearts...
From: Ed Chenel, A police officer in Australia
Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real
figures from Down Under. It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own
government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:
Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,
Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent;
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!
In the state of Victoria... alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.(Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!)
While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady
decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed. There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.

Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in 'successfully ridding Australian society of guns...'

You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information.

The Australian experience speaks for itself. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.
Take note Americans, before it's too late!

What do you think?

just fact checked this, it's intentionally distorted. Sorry, nothing to see here move along. Thought I could trust the people who gave me the info.

Most Helpful Girl

• Can you provide a link to those statistics?

• look at my update, the snoop tore it apart, I thought I could trust the person who gave me this. I posted before fact checking. Sorry

Most Helpful Guy

• doesn't surprise me. Crime rates and gun ownership are not linked nearly ad much as politicians want us to believe. I saw an interesting article a while ago, can't find it to link it but I do remember some of the stats. Canada, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Austria all had about the same legal gun ownership, about 30 guns per 100 citizens. Australia and South Africa were less than half of that. All those countries have very similar violent crime rates, except South Africa which was slightly higher. Mexico, Columbia and Venezuala had almost no legal guns and violent crime rates were like 10-20 times that of the other countries I mentioned.
    Crime rates are related to the level of violence in the culture, not the number of legal gun owners.

• That's true. I just hate putting out misinformation

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 4

• I appreciate your update. The fact that you don't want to use information if you think it isn't credible is something I have a of of respect for. A lot of people will continue to use whatever helps them prove their point even if they know it isn't true.

• It is foolish, as it diminishes your other points. Things are so easy to fact check that I feel regret that I didn't before I hit the post button.

• Living in Melbourne, I think this is a biggest load of old codswallop, and I am glad you verified this is the case

• Normally I fact check things before I post, but my source was one that I trusted.

• probably I already cursed the guy who gave this too me out.

• I am Irish, but have been here ( Melbourne ) three years, and any one who knows Australia/Australians would see this as false. This is not a slight on you, more testimony to the thoughts about guns here.

• Possibly something to consider seriously

• Even if this were true you can't draw comparisons between the US and Oz. In many ways the USA is more like Brazil than a European or Commonwealth country.

• true true. I just hate putting out information when I know it's wrong. It hurts the credibility of other posts that i make.