Do you think making your kids sleep in a cold garage is child abuse?

My parents made my brother and me sleep in the garage. Really really hot in the summer and really really cold in winter. But we could come inside during the day and do anything play video games and watch movies and they bought us a lot of cool stuff. I told one of my friends and he was really shocked but it was just normal to me.

• Not child abuse
  • child abuse

Most Helpful Girl

• I live in Michigan.

www.legislature.mi.gov/.../mileg.aspx

Let me break it down for you.

Would I personally consider it child abuse? Yes.

Would the law? Let's look.

Were you in fact a child (under the age of 18)? If yes, let's continue.

Did they provide you with food, clothing, and shelter? Yes? Let's continue. No child abuse yet.

Did they knowingly cause physical or mental harm to you? I'm gonna go with no based on the details of your question. Ergo they did not commit child abuse in the 1st degree.

Now, it might be child abuse 2nd degree. It states that 2nd degree applies when a person The person knowingly or intentionally commits an act that is cruel to a child regardless of whether harm results.

One could argue that putting you in such extreme temperatures would be cruel even though no harm actually happened to you. But then you would have to submit them to a psychological evaluation to determine whether or not they KNOWINGLY did that. If they were not mentally sound then they could not have knowingly done so and ergo cannot be charged.

If it is determined they knowingly did so and since there was at least you and your sibling... that's no more than a 20 year felony... assuming the statute of limitations hasn't run out.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't see how that. could be considered abuse. You had a roof over your heads.

What Girls Said 5

• If they made you sleep there like a punishment or something when you had the option of sleeping inside, then yes, that's child abuse.

• Yes. A parent should provide a safe and loving environment for their kids. I do not believe that is one.

• Not exactly but that's mean lol

• Was there a reason you couldn't sleep inside? Did you have blankets, and comfort of any kind?

• Yes, in my country it would be classed as neglect. As they haven't provided adequate shelter.

What Guys Said 5

• I did as a kid one night to be close to a bad ass poster I had just put up

• lol i willingly turned our garage into my bedroom. i didn't know i was abusing myself lol

• That is really odd.

• If you can sleep somewhere warmer? ABUSE

• Not unless you are locked in the garage