Have you noticed (most) guys are pickier about tattoos than girls?

Every time a tattoo question gets asked, in gauging attraction levels, the guys on here generally vote that they prefer their women to not have any tattoos or to have very small and minimal ones. While some say tattoos aren't TOTAL deal breakers, a vast majority say it puts them off completely.

But the females are more than fine with it, and rarely do you see any say that it'll be a deal breaker or that the guy should have small and minimal ones if he has any at all.

Just an observation I've made the past 1+ year I've been on this website.

As a lady with 8 tattoos myself, this kind of baffles me that so many guys on this website particualry think so negatively about women with tattoos. I've been nothing but complimented and even called sexy because of some of my tattoos elsewhere (in person and other websites).

Why is this? Why do you think that men on GaG are often repulsed or turned off by tattoos but the women on GaG are indifferent or even more turned on from tattoos?

Do you believe its because the boys on here have it stuck in their brains that tattoos are inherently a manly thing? If this isn't YOUR reasoning, men reading this, then please disclose what exactly it is that makes tattoos a turn off for you.

Furthermore, for the ladies: do you think other women lose any kind of appeal towards men when you notice they've got ink? Like, does it give you a sense of having a leg-up, per se, in the dating game if you yourself don't have any?

Also if you're a lady: if you DON'T like guys with tattoos, why? And is it a strict deal breaker like a lot of guys on here paint it to be for them? Or are you quite lenient?

Most Helpful Guy

• There are certainly plenty of guys who like girls with tattoos - both here on GaG and out in the world - but I'd say they are definitely the minority, even though their numbers have grown over the last decade or so.

But you also need to factor in a couple of things: the guys who approach you out in the world are self-selecting - guys who see your tattoos are either attracted to them and approach you or are put off by them and don't, but that means the ones who approach you are heavily biased in favor of liking girls with tattoos. It's no different than any of your other features: height, weight, hair length, body type, boob size, butt size, etc. Guys can see those things from across the room, and the ones that like what they see approach you, and the ones that don't, don't.

The other thing to consider is that the guys who approach you are sexually attracted to you - they want to bang you - and so even if some of them are put off by tattoos, their desire to bang you means they'll pretend they like them in order to get into your pants. I see guys do this stuff all the time. You can't go by what guys say when pussy is on the line, because most will lie if they think it will help them get some.

Most Helpful Girl

• Im totally stealing from someone else's comment lol but some guy said

A lot of guys here on GaG seem to like "clean" women, as in no tattoos, no piercings, no drugs, no drinking heavily, no casual sex, etc. Why are all these guys on here (including me)? I don't know.

That is because in my view anyone who spends so much time online like a lot of regular users do here, they tend to have idealised certain things and their tastes in women have not changed and evolved much from since they were younger and in many cases they are not experienced not saying the user i quoted from is inexperienced lol i do not know him. So a lot of the guys on this site especially the regular known by face users on here are reserved in their views on women from lack of socializing very often as in my experience socialising helps evolve and develop your taste in things you didn't even know you would like :) Many guys on this site still have this perception of innocent untouched pure girls as they have an unrealistic view of women, and a girl with a tattoo is not pure and clean so they would say they want no tattoos or very few.

What Guys Said 17

• Tattoos are permanent things.
    They tell stories about people.

A well considered tattoo tells the story of a thoughtful person who put effort into a decision.

Most tattoos on most people don't pass this test.

Most tattoos tell different stories:

"When we were in Cancun on spring break all of us girls got hammered and got tramp stamps."

"I get a tattoo when I'm in a relationship, sorry that you can still see the name Scott tattooed on my ass. I haven't figured out how I want to cover it up yet."

"I used to be in a gang, that's why I have these."
    Or, more likely...
    "I want people to think I was in a gang, so I got these."

"Tribal tattoos are the in thing, barbed wire is so last year."

"I only get tattoos when I drink, I drink a lot."

Most people that get tattoos are making them without an eye to how long they will last. This marks them as having poor impulse control and a lack of future orientation. Not attractive qualities in any person.

I have two step daughters, both have ink.

On one of them, each tattoo has significance and she can tell a story about it.

The other step daughter seems to come home with a new tattoo when she has had money and has been bored. That character shows through in her choice of tattoos. Interestingly, her first tat was very thoughtful and we'll chosen. It's effect is now muted by being lost in bad ink.

I think most people who actually get tattoos would pay extra for ink that only lasted for 5 years. That way people could say "This is who I am." without ever having to say "This is who I was."

I knew of a sailor who got a tattoo in Italy after the Gulf War. Proudly, he showed it off to his shipmates. They laughed at him.

It said "Dessert Storm".

He proved to everyone who sees it that he can't spell common English words.
    Mom will be so happy.

In a world with so much bad ink, many people make the decision that avoiding people who have gone under the pen is like a smart move.

That said, I like well chosen tattoos myself. I may even get one too. I would just have to make a decision about the art and the story first. I'm not there yet. Too much future orientation I think.

• I won't be of any value on this question because I love tattoos - Just thought I'll give you a laugh as I realised it is time to sign off and go to bed. The bit of your question I am referring to
    "As a lady with 8 tattoos myself, this kind of baffles me that so many guys on this website particularly think so negatively about women with tattoos. I've been nothing but complimented and even called sexy because of some of my tattoos elsewhere (in person and other websites)."
    So I am a bit tired or thinking of OITNB - Didn't I read last bracket as (in prison and other websites) - Anyways toodle pips and good night
    static5.quoteswave.com/.../...rything-is-funny.jpg
    funnyasduck.net/.../...eping-resting-eyes-pics.jpg

• I actually don't mind a few tattoo's on a woman but to me a woman looking like a human mural is a major turn off and not at all attractive and even on guy's I think it looks ridiculous when they are just completely covered in them. But it's more what the tattoo's are for me then how many there are.

• To me it is not necessarily the tattoos I find unattractive as much as it is the stereotype associated with them. I tend to think of tattooed women as bad, gothic smokers who hang out at bars and are promiscuous. I know it isn't true and that this stereotype is clearly wrong as I myself have tattoos, but still I cannot get it out of my head.

• its just not feminine. i have many tattoos and i dont date women with tattoos.

• I'm one of those guys you mentioned.

• Eh, I just don't like tattoos that much in general :/
    Doesn't matter who they're on.
    Of course, a lot of ink is BEAUTIFUL, it's just not really my thing.
    I don't mind a girl with some art on her though.

• Okay, but why don't you like them? What makes you not like them?

• Nah that's not it.
      argh I don't know how to define it lol
      Ink won't make me stop thinking of you as a person, it's just not what I prefer to see. I'm not against it, it's just not my preference.
      Like I prefer brunettes, that doesn't mean I won't like a blonde, I prefer no tats, that doesn't mean I couldn't find a tattoo or ther person it's on beautiful.
      As for guys, I don't really have a dog in that fight, but I feel like guys are more likely to go for barbed wire biceps than chicks, so I'm not the biggest fan of guys with tats either, but some of them can be bad-ass.

• *some of the tattoos*

• I sure do not mind a few, the art and placement itself I do get picky.

• I have nothing against women with tattoos, I just don't find it attractive personally.

• But that's the entire point of my question. WHY don't you find it attractive on women? I don't give a rats left nut-sack whether you're against them or not. I want to know what specifically makes them not attractive to you.

• Generally, yes. There's a reason. Otherwise you're just being an idiot if you throw out a "I don't find women with tattoos attractive. Just 'cause."

If you don't have a reasoning to back yourself up, you sound like a fool. Thanks for being honest with yourself.

• No need to be so passive aggressive

• I am picky with them but the fact that some girls have them isn't a problem

I just think that a tattoo should compliment a woman's natural curves rather than cover them

• Cause we gotta look good for the ladies

• Kid, learn to read questions in full before answering.

• I'll still call ya kid 'cause you're 6 years younger than me. ;p

• 🙂 but I'll still call you kidding because I'm much taller

• That's like seeing a beautiful Ferrari with bumper stickers. . .

I'll let you decide. I personally don't mind small bumper stickers though

• I think, in general, people are more honest about what they really think online.

• I love tattoed girls. I don't understand why people don't.

• I've noticed the women around here have been getting more tattoo's each year and even a few of the girls I knew at pub who I didn't know had a tattoo turned out to have one. the trend for younger women to get tattoo's has really grown , I'd say around here is more women who have at least 1 tattoo than guys who have at least 1 . I don't think a girl having like 1 tattoo would be a deal breaker for most guys unless it was in a horrible location or had ex's name or something.

• Women are inherently more naturally emotional. Men are inherently more naturally rational and logical.

I. e women generally tend to think quite short sighted on issues with stronger credit given to the emotional feeling rather than the one of sense.
    - Like dating a guy around 10 years older would rarely be a guy thing. The guy will die much quicker and she'll be alone.
    - Like wearing make up and complaining when a guy that was tricked isn't attracted to them without make up.
    -Like not committing to a relationship. Ending it on impulse than regretting it
    - like getting tattoos and not thinking about the fact lots of guys view it as masculine and not attractive on an older girl

• Damn! You wrote a damn book.

I don't know about all that. I know guys probably see a woman's body as "pure and innocent". Hence why some want virgins and why they want her to be "ink free".

I personally don't give a fuck. The only time it matters is when it's something that's just really ugly and just basically a terrible idea. Most tatts are fine by me. Shit like this though:

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...00b6c175bb.jpg

That fucking shit's gotta go. Look at how ugly it is. Like come on. The Japanese symbol is fine. It's the other shit that's a no go.

But your tatts are fine. Bunch of Zelda shit. It wouldn't bother me.

• I agree that the cheetah print there is a bit tacky and looks overwhelming so close to the Japanese symbol (which for all I know has nothing to even do with cheetah print) so it just looks... cluttered.

• A bit? It's disgusting. I hate that tattoo. I feel like it's ugly no matter where it is.

What Girls Said 3

• I think everyone is!

• No, I usually feel girls with tattoos are seen as sexier than girls without them (Depending on what the tattoo is and where the placement is).
    I don't have any, but I kind of want one. But I'm afraid of the pain lol.
    I don't see how tattoos are a leg up or not to dating. Its weird, I've noticed that as well on here.

• Pain isn't that bad, and this coming from a girl with moderate to low pain tolerance. :p

• They see them as more promiscuous and masculine i think and they want pure untainted little flowers.
    I personally love tattoos on girls