Why is English so hard?

I find English is so hard : ( My mother tongue is turkish. And grammatical structure/word order of English is completely different than turkish. And In English, there are a lot of words are pronunced similarly (for example meat/meet, bad/bed), and that gives challange me for understanding English when someone speaks English.

I am sure even when i write this post, i used a lot words wrongly. Why is English so hard : (

Most Helpful Girl

• Well yes there are a lot of words that sound the same but usually if you look at the context it is used in you can decipher what they actually mean.

Do you speak any other languages? Half the words in English come from French but English isn't a Latin language it is actually Germanic. The spelling system in English is often contradictory because of the influence of other languages but if you know the root and a little about other languages it helps.

Other than that watch a lot of American shows or movies and it will get you used to the sound, meaning and context. I have a friend that learned Spanish this way and a German friend that sharpened his English on the Simpsons growing up. ☺️

Have you studied English in school? As far as grammar that is the best way because yea we do have a lot of different tenses. And yes even English and French use different word order from one another.

• Ok. I ask one thing. Did I use some words wrongly on the post? If so, what are they?

• Thanks for the answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKR_ml3GAKs

That's the turkish : ) I wonder what does turkish sounds to your ears?

• She's sooo pretty. I like the way Turkish sounds but I don't think I could place the language like I could with German, Spanish, French or Russian.

It sounds a bit of a mix of Slavic and Arabic influences to me but it sounds nice on the ears.

Most Helpful Guy

• English is considered fairly easy compared to a lot of languages simply based on the fact that it's base is extremely simple. the reason it's hard is because there are many homonyms and exceptions to the rules. but grammatically, it;s a very forgiving language compared to a lot of languages.

What Girls Said 3

• I don't think English is hard. I think it's very easy compared to other languages like German or Chinese.
    I like the fact that there's no graphic marks in English. And sometimes the same word can be used for both men and women. And that doesn't happen with some languages.
    Plus, there are a lot of songs, movies and TV shows in English. You can watch them with Turkish subtitles and learn while you're watching them.

• English is actually extremely easy! I grew up speaking Arabic and French and I can assure you English is a piece of cake compared to Arabic and French.

• It's not, but because your mother tongue is turkish, it would be harder for you to grasp, just the same if i had to learn turkish or russian i think i would be saying the same thing.

• Your words/sentence is perfect, nothing wrong with it at all.

What Guys Said 3

• English has messed up grammar, as well as being a weird mish-mash of several other European languages. This is also its strength: it accepts new words and grows.

At least it doesn't have gendered nouns like French or Spanish!

• You haven't tried to learn french, german, polish or chinese then, have you? English is actually quite easy - it just has a lot of grammatical exceptions which you need to memorise.

• French is easier than English in my opinion. At least it is consistent.

• @sjoes006

It wasn't to me. French didn't get into my head at all while I thought English is quite easy.

• Because whoever invented it was crazy. I'm a native English speaker and I still don't understand why there are so many grammatical rules and why each one has multiple exceptions

• I would say , "and that makes it challenging for me to understand when someone speaks English" instead of how you worded it but everything else is correct

• Thanks for the answer.