Why are some people such awful readers on gag?

Sometimes no matter how clear you are in what you mean , there's always that set of people that conclude completely opposite of what you are saying.

Most Helpful Guy

• Happens in all of myTakes. I try to be as clear as possible but some people think that I mean something radically different.

Just recently I wrote a myTake telling men that they're in control of their sex lives and if one woman isn't having sex with them they can find another one.

Most women reacted negatively, they thought that I was encouraging men to leave their gfs and that their bs rules on when to have sex were legitimate.

Some men also thought I was bashing women. They thought I was a misogynist and were praising me for my MGTOW views even though I don't subscribe to that ideology.

Perhaps I could've written it better.
    But then again when I made study notes and shared them with people there were 2 people that didn't understand them.

All I can say is everyone understands things differently but sometimes people are just stupid. What matters most is that you like what you wrote.

Most Helpful Girl

• I realize that some GaGers have a first language other than English.

The ones that frustrate the hell our of me are the ones that ARE English speakers (as their first langauge) and they have such a poor grasp of their own language. And yes, poor reading comprehension is rampant.

Is why I don't write MyTakes or post many questions. Too frustrating.

What Guys Said 15

• They don't read past the headline. Newspapers write articles all the time counting on that same fact. It allows them to spread propaganda without getting in trouble for lying.

• I like to think of them as syntax-impaired members of society who frequent this site in hopes of improving their lot. Of course, this doesn't elevate them beyond the level of imbeciles and dullards, but it does allow for hope.

• we all see through different eyes

• If you wrote for the majority and the majority don't fully get your point then you failed as a writer. You have to decide whether you're want the masses to get it or just the intellectual and adjust accordingly even if that means simplifying the message or it's delivery.

• Half of the people get it. But I find that on GAG that some people like to draw their own implications. Half of the readers use my own points to argue with me on a topic (not realizing that if they read my entire article instead of skimming through it) that I have the same message. Half of the people here don't read.
      The small few that do understand fully , others will formulate their own opinion based on what they have read

• I guess it's good your achieving your goal of starting a dialogue at least?

• Most GAGers are morons so no surprise there.

• yup... they only read the words they want to see... changing the whole context of what your saying.

• People don't know how to write properly. Too much shit in some my takes and they get boring or are rambling. People just get a general feel for the body of work and strike an opinion

• What happened?

• Wut? I totally spaced out...

• Sometimes people just don't write what they mean and then expect readers to understand, because it was "so clear" what was implied. But it really doesn't seem that hard to me to just write down what you want to fucking say.

• And I thought I was hotstuff 💔

• Yes i knew it was you who posted this question, can't i be forgiven for not being a good reader at seven o clock in the morning on New Years Day

• Huh? What? wasn't talking about you. Guilty conscience huh bro ? Lol

• I don't think they conclude the opposite they just don't believe you

• Believing and simple reading comprehension are two different things

• they are blinded by emotion or get to a part they disagree with and start writing a response.

• Some people read quickly and assume the worst through some sort of anger bias.

What Girls Said 11

• Sometimes I think it's poor comprehension skills more than anything else.

EG. "Do you like carpet or hardwood?"

So you say "I like carpet"

And they're like "But do you like carpet?"

"UH NO NOODLE BRAIN I HATE CARPET DESPITE SAYING I LIKE IT"

• I just don't argue with people who don't read what I have said properly. If they misunderstood, I always make sure I let them know what I meant.

• lol i dont have an answer im just finding this funny bc i know exactly what you mean. :-)

• Usually they just don't pay any goddamn attention to what you're saying.

• LOL AMEEEENNNNN oh my gosh!

• People see what they want to see, truthfully. If they want to believe that you're a fire breathing maneater bent on eradicating all male life forms, they'll twist everything you say to that end. It's sad, really.

• Maybe I didn't read it! hahah!

• They forgot to put on there spectacles 🤓

• Hahah I'm so sorry XD

• I know right I want to be as good of a reader as them One day

XD

• Sometimes I misinterpret things even if I read it. We all make mistakes. The only problem is when people become aggressive or argue over it, in my opinion.