Are kids who grow up a poor family really less spoiled than their wealthier counterparts?

Most Helpful Guy

• I believe that's how it works for the most part, yes. I mean in my experience I grew up pretty poor. I remember working (mowing yards) from the age of like 5 just to afford food and to help my mom with the bills. Wasn't spoiled and I value a dollar more than most kids now.

Most Helpful Girl

• In a sense, of course. But in another view, no. Richer families give their children a lot of material garbage and a lot of children who grew up rich become materialistic (which comes with the territory), greedy, and selfish. They had everything handed to them. So they really know no other way of living.

Poor families do try to spoil their children. Most of them can't afford much of anything but will save all year long just to supply their children with that one big item they've been asking for. Poor families have a different way of spoiling their kids. They spoil them with love and attention. Which is better than any material thing that I can think of.

I grew up middle class. I had what I needed and most of what I wanted. I was slightly greedy at one point. No doubt about that. Until I got older and watched the struggle that my mother went through just to supply us with material things that were just going to end up broken within a few months. It was at that point that I started working as well (9 years old) to help my mother make up for my fathers absence. I found that with my mother and I both working we were able to bring the family closer together as well.

What Guys Said 10

• Umm... Ya! Thats kinda the definition of spoiled. Poverty changes you... It makes you realize whats important in life (and its not smartphones and video games)

• I would tend to think so

• They think it's normal to have no car instead of 5

If a rich kid is having 5 cars, and he is used to it, and you take those away, sure he'll be spooked

• not always, if there parents let them run wild than they will still end up spoiled

• I believe so. They have to work for their money and won't get mad when they don't get things handed to them since they are used to work on harder for things they want

• It depends but it's much more likely to occur in wealthy families

• Is this a trick question?

• absolutely

• Yeah but it sucks, but to this day I am careful with money and try not to waste it and try to have my kids understand about it

• Usually. Poverty takes a different psychological toll, both mess you up. On the whole it's a lot easier to deal with your psychological problems if you are rich though.

What Girls Said 1

• yes but they have worse problems. being spoiled is usually more of an issue for other people than the spoiled person. they are annoying but are not traumatized. poverty can cause ptsd. on the other hand a person can be poor and simply grow up hard working and not wasteful. really defends on how were the poverty and what a person had to endure to serve.

for example-

eating out of garbage bins prostituting as a child never having any access to extra curricular activities not having parents around no time to study having abusive parents who never had a break themselves and are in constant crisis... v

Verses having to get a paper route not going in elaborate vacations having to use your creativity to make clothes invent activities bc there's no money for luxuries but your basic needs are met and your parents love you..

• #typo

defends on how were the poverty = *depends on how severe the poverty*