How to avoid accidentally scaring women on the street?

You know when you are going somewhere in a hurry, then there's a woman going the same way as you, and it seems like you are chasing them? That happened to me the other day. I was walking up some long stairs, then around some corners, in the same direction some woman was going, and she woman kept looking back, nervously. It was dark and there was nobody else around. I wanted to scream out "I'm not a murderer". Would that help or make things worse?

• Scream out "I'm not a murderer"
  • Run so you can get past her
  • Don't scream or run, that's worse
  • Other

Most Helpful Girl

• Crossing onto the other side of the road is usually a good idea. I don't recommend running to get past here because c'mon, hearing someone suddenly speed up and start running behind you when you're alone at night in the dark and you're already kinda anxious is just gonna feel like they're charging at you to attack you or something :P Yeah, crossing the road is good or maybe pretending to be talking on the phone? If she can hear you and hears you say something like you're almost home and you'll be back in a few minutes, it might be kinda reassuring.

• It's not always an option to cross. It could be stairs. It's hard to explain, but public transit systems sometimes have winding stairs. And when you are in a hurry, pulling out the phone and talking to yourself is not always the best thing.

• Yeah, I get that. @9mfeo made a good point, maybe pretending you don't even see her would be the best option if there's no way of avoiding you following her. I mean, don't put your hood up and walk fast or anything like that because... Creepy :P But listening to music and giving her space would be good.

Most Helpful Guy

• LOL I was on the way home the other day and I live in a really dimly lit street and it's quite spooky at night, there was this girl in front of me and we were walking at a similar speed but I was slightly faster, so it took ages before I overtook her and I was right behind her for quite some time. I just couldn't be bothered to speed up because it'd been a long day. She kept turning her head and speeding up slightly but that just meant it took longer before I got past. I thought it was funny in the end.

What Girls Said 8

• Lmao! I'm so sorry, but I just would think it's weird for someone to blurt out "I'm not a murderer", the imagery just makes me laugh.

I can't stop laughing at this whole situation you described
    XD

Ok. I guess the only thing you can do is slow down and let her go to her destination.
    Women are taught to be wary of strangers since we're kids. But it continues even in adulthood because well, it's dangerous.
    And some women are just overly paranoid as is.

• "I'M NOT A MURDERER!"

Lol that would probably just make her more scared 😂

• i think the best idea is just to slow down, let her go her way, and carry on. just fake something. a phone call, tying up your shoelace, something like that. it'll just give her space and make her feel a little more at ease.

• Say " This street ain't big enough for the both of us"

.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    or slow down

• Sorry, this made me laugh. :P Because the other day, I thought a guy was following me, and now I wonder if he realised that it's what I thought.

To answer your question, if you're not in a hurry, you could walk a bit slower to create a distance between you two. And if you walk slow it also shows you're not purposely trying to keep up.

• Lol I always get scared that I will make a random guy feel this way. I come home from work when it's dark out, and there is usually someone behind me. Whenever it is a male, I am always looking back nervously lol. I can't help but think "wow I'm probably making him feel like he's a murderer, poor guy".

• Put headphones in. Make it look like you don't even see her.

• You can pretend to be on the phone with a friend of yours or your mother/father and say something like "yeah I'm coming" so she can hear you, I don't know lol

• If you can, try crossing the street so even though you're going in the same direction, now you're not following her. Passing her would be good, but if you suddenly speed up and get closer to her that could freak her out more.

• That is what I do if I am walking down the street I will speed up and get past the woman. However, I am careful how I do it.

• If I can't pass her easily without pushing past her or really having to go into turbo I slow down and let her get a long way ahead.

What Guys Said 16

• I think most men and women both have been in that situation. Yea, it's pretty awkward. It's like you can just feel it when she's afraid, or being overly cautious.

I would not yell anything. If you are in a hurry, and can't cross the road or anything, maybe wait until she looks back again and say something like "Sorry, I'm in a hurry, do you mind if I run past you?". Let her move aside or whatever then go past. Thank her pleasantly and move on. Try to stay in plain site as long as possible.

• I once was in the same position and I ran , She looked back and saw me running and starts to scream and run. I faul on the street laughing. it was crazy then she saw me laughing she then stopped and looked at me then just walke as if nothing happened. So no matter what just don't run.

• I think you should scream at the top of your lungs when they hit 10 feet in front of you, trip and throw your "cooking knives and bone saw" onto the pavement as you are falling... In a deep voice begin to chant "wolowolowolowolo"
    The girl will be entranced.
    Begin to piss and shit yourself
    Pull out your business card with name and phone number written on it
    www.quirkbooks.com/.../American%20Psycho.jpg
    Sprint forward and trip awkwardly within 3 feet of her
    Slip it into her pocket as you fall, sprawling onto the pavement.
    Allow all of your "knives to fall onto the pavement"
    Congratulations
    You have just given a future victim your phone number.

• I have had this happen. When I am walking somewhere I can pass her like down the street I speed up and pass her but you can not do that everywhere and in that case I slow down and let her get ahead.

• I know exactly what you're talking about. And it makes you feel weird even though you're not doing anything wrong. Especially if you're like me and when you're walking somewhere I usually walk fast and I can't help but come up behind people heading in the same direction but just poking along. And of course they oftentimes get this startled look just like you say. I don't know what the solution is. There probably isn't one. It just is what it is.

• Who cares that sounds like a paranoid and/or racist woman.

You need to be somewhere and/or need to move fast do so.

• Thanks for that this has happened to me as well i just keep going about my business, amazing that so many women think he should either slow down, fake a phone conversation or even cross the street.

• Haha. Something like this happened to me already as well and then at one point she started running. Lol.

• I voted a🙂

• I just yell, "sorry, coming through!"

• cross to the other side of the road

• Just keep walking at your pace and don't think anything of it. Even if she thinks you're a murderer or a rapefish or whatever, she's gonna realise she was wrong when you don't actually rape or murder her, am I right?

• I walk way quicker then anyone else, and funny enough this has also happened to me i just keep going about my business

• Lol happened with me, it's like a global thing

• You beta faggot who cares, its not your fault

• Pretend to be a woman. It's really the only way...

• Dafauq don't do anything you didn't do something it's not your problems that someone if paranoid by other gender