How do I tell my parents that I registered my party affiliation different from theirs?

A few weeks ago I made the decision of who I will vote for. Today I got around to changing my party affiliation. Originally I was registered as an independent but I changed it online so I can vote in the primary. My new voters card will come in the mail momentarily. The party affiliation is not the same as my parents and I want to know how to tell them. Don't ask me who I plan to vote for or what my new party affiliation is. You will be wasting your time and I won't tell you.

Most Helpful Guy

• You don't have to tell them. You have the right to vote however you choose to vote. It's noones business how you vote or plan to.

Most Helpful Girl

• Okay I have the same problem! My parents are Republicans! They love Mitt Romney so much! I label myself as a Green! It's difficult to talk about and to tell your parents! There is no good advice for it! Just zone out if they yell at you

What Guys Said 6

• If you are deadset on telling them then do it the next time they assume you will vote as they do and reply you won't as a blankety blank soandso party member.

I'd personally not engage them or let them speak their minds and either not engage or challenge them as the opposing side you will be voting.

• Lol it's nothing to worry about this is a democracy after all you're free to vote for whoever you want, just have a good reason for voting for who you vote for, also just so you know you can vote for all the parties regardless of which one your party affiliation is I'm a Republican but I've voted for others besides Republicans in the past if they were better choices then what my own party has to offer which isn't often.

• Just tell them republicans and democracy are the same thing and you would be right.

• Lol to this being what you worry about.

• If you are voting Democrat, have some bad news for you. :)

• Tell me about it this year is our year.

• Again you are wasting your time. I just want advice on how to tell my parents.

• I understand that. I'm writing for others to see. ;)

• As long as you don't vote for that idiot douchebag of a jackass trump, I don't care who you vote for

What Girls Said 3

• Why do you feel the need to tell them?

• Originally I registered as an independent and in my state, independent's don't get to vote in the primary elections. As far as they know, I don't get to vote in the primary. When the primary comes around, I am going to have to tell them that I can vote. Plus when it comes in the mail, they are going to wonder why I got a letter from our state.

• You don't need to tell them...

• You don't have to tell them. I am 34 years old and i have never discussed that with my parents. That is just one of those things that you have a right to keep private.