Should I come out to my mom like this?

I don't really want to make it a big deal, I just want to come home and say "Mom, this is my boyfriend." Just normally, like a straight guy would do with a girlfriend.
Is that stupid

I know my mom isn't homophobic. But I don't know how she'll react to me personally being gay

Most Helpful Girl

• Well if you feel comfortable, honestly most parents do infact know theyre just waiting for you to say, but some depending on how you were raised have no idea. I would just ideally tell her without your boyfriend because the last thing you want is a bad reaction infront of him.

Most Helpful Guy

• the key is is it a big deal to your mom?

its not to you but you need to respect their wishes as well as the feelings of your significant other.

would you rather it be a smooth transition for both your mom and boyfriend, or would you rather put them in an uncomfortable situation that could be unpredictable?

• Well I know she's not homophobic or anything. I know she likes gays. But I don't know if she'd be surprised that im personally gay myself

• Im just saying don't surprise her with both coming out and having a boyfriend.

you can't anticipate the response, it has nothing to do with homophobia.

be smart and do one at a time.

What Girls Said 5

• No it's not stupid. My best friend is gay and I've come to realize that each gay person has their own way of wanting to come out and that's perfectly OK. It's all about what works best for you! You are 100% entitled to be the person you want to be and if that's how you want to do it then I say go for it.

• I think you should tell her before showing your boyfriend because who knows how shed react and you don't want any drama to be seen by him if your mum reacts negatively

• That's a great way. Tons of people do it like that, most of the times no fuss was made, unless your mother doesn't have any suspicions at all, lol.

• That may be a tad jarring but if she's no a homophobe and you two have a decent relationship do it.

• Go ahead tell her, she is your mom, I know she will accept it.

What Guys Said 8

• I wouldn't recommend it. I mean I see your reasoning but I think it'd be better to sit down and tell your mom privately rather than putting your boyfriend on the spot.

• How judgmental is your mom? Is she more "traditional" or open-minded? If she is a little more traditional, I would say you should sit down with her first and let her know.

• No thats a terrible idea. If you haven't given her any hints yet, it would shock her.
    And shocking people isn't the best way to get accepted by them.

• I think you are unnecessarily subjecting your boyfriend to whatever drama and disapproval which might ensue.

But, if he's down with it, why not?

• I don't think you should come out like that, maybe tell her you have a boyfriend before you bring him lol

• Well first of all, you should tell your mom that you're gay. If she reacts in a positive way, you should mention your boyfriend. But it's your choice, I'm just sharing my opinion.

• Just let her catch you banging him in your room. After ward I garentee that she will want to talk to you about it.

• I think you should suppress those feelings and lock them away somewhere deep inside and get a girlfriend instead.

Just my opinion, no offence meant.

• I'm pretty sure surpression isn't even healthy

• I know but it will make you cool in a mysterious brooding kind of way.

Like: Hot babe who is interested in you:"hey what's wrong, why do you never smile?"

You: "I don't want to talk about it right now. It's something I can't control..."