What can you show instead of an ID card when you go to a bar?

I turned 18 but I can't find my ID card anywhere, but I have my student card where it shows my name and stuff
can i use that?

Most Helpful Guy

• Generally, bars want to see photo ID that has your date of birth, preferably government issued. That means driver's license, identity cards, passports.

Student ID cards generally don't meet the criteria, and are generally easier to fake than government issued ID cards.

That being said, you might find a bar that will accept it, but dust yourself off after each rejection ;)

• Aha I see. Thanks, I have passport, so its ok if I show that?

• Passport should be fine, yeah.

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on the state. If it's Massachusetts, for example, you have to have an IN-STATE id. Can't even have one from Rhode Island, which is like 15 minutes away. Nope.

Most states are not that strict.

Do you know any international students? Because lots of countries' papers are super ridiculously easy to counterfeit, and they are actually authentic.
    I mean, passports are passports, but secondary ID's in a lot of countries are literally printed on dot-matrix printers and then laminated with plastic.

What Guys Said 10

• Driver's licence, Passport, Citizenship Card..

Basically anything with your DOB and Photograph.

I go to Weatherspoons every weekend, and I have to tell my mates this so the bouncers let them in. 😂

• Only some bars will accept it if they're local but usually not because student cards are so easy to counterfeit

• Unless you have another piece of gov't ID that shows your date of birth, then I think you may be out of luck.

• Is a student ID the same as a normal ID?

• Well, that's a school's ID, so it really depends on if it has your DOB on it, and whether or not the school is public or private.

• Some may accept that but a passport would be best

• Try your drivers license or passport I don't know.

• I doubt they take student IDs at the bars, unless it specifies that you are 21.

• That should work. As long as it has your age somewhere on there or your DOB otherwise they might think your still in school

• A 100 dollar bill usually did the trick for me.

• Lots of $$$$$$$,

• Passport, driving licence?

What Girls Said 4

• You have to show something that proves you are over the age of 18 or 21 depending on the bar and where you're from. I don't think a student ID will get you in because they don't usually include personal information like your date of birth. Perhaps try a passport or military ID.

• I show my license

• NO! I think they have strict policy!

• Passport is the only thing I can think of unless where ever your from overs other forms of ID.