🇬🇧🍎Whats some cool British slang?

Most Helpful Guy

• The Best of British:
    - Home
    - Slang
    - People
    - Motoring
    - Clothing
    - Around the house
    - Food & drink
    - Odds & sods

The Very Best of British - The American's guide to speaking British...
    Other stuff...
    - Search Site
    - Brit Links
    - Effingpot?
    - The Book
    - Awards
    - Funnies

Slang...

Ace - If something is ace it is awesome. I used to hear it a lot in Liverpool. Kids thought all cool stuff was ace, or brill.
    Aggro - Short for aggravation, it's the sort of thing you might expect at a football match. In other words - trouble! There is sometimes aggro in the cities after the pubs shut!

All right? - This is used a lot around London and the south to mean, "Hello, how are you"? You would say it to a complete stranger or someone you knew. The normal response would be for them to say "All right"? back to you. It is said as a question. Sometimes it might get expanded to "all right mate"? Mostly used by blue collar workers but also common among younger people.

Anti-clockwise - The first time I said that something had gone anti-clockwise to someone in Texas I got this very funny look. It simply means counter-clockwise but must sound really strange to you chaps! I think he thought I had something against clocks!

Any road - Up north (where they talk funny!!) instead of saying anyway, they say "any road"! Weird huh?

Arse - This is a word that doesn't seem to exist in America. It basically means the same as ass, but is much ruder. It is used in phrases like "pain in the arse" (a nuisance) or I "can't be arsed" (I can't be bothered) or you might hear something was "a half arsed attempt" meaning that it was not done properly.

Arse about face - This means you are doing something back to front.

Arse over elbow - This is another way of saying head over heels but is a little more descriptive. Usually happens after 11pm on a Saturday night and too many lagers! Some Americans say ass over teakettle apparently!

Arse over tit - Another version of arse over elbow, but a bit more graphic!

Arsehole - Asshole to you. Not a nice word in either language.

Arseholed - Drunk! Usually in the advanced stages of drunken stupor, someone would be considered "completely arseholed". Never me, of course!

Most Helpful Girl

• Okay. Listing the best British slang I know :P

Dog's bollocks - The best
    Tosser - Wanker
    Bugger - Pretty much the same as tosser
    Banged - Either fucked or punched, depending on the context
    Banger - Good song
    Tune - Also a good song
    Aggro - Short for aggravation, means hassle, stress.
    Arse over tit - Fell over, basically 'head over heels'
    Ratarsed - Drunk
    Knackered - Tired
    Cock up - Mess something up
    Chunder - Vomit
    Brilliant - Not exactly slang but if we use brilliant, it's probably not brilliant :P
    Wagwan - What's going on?
    Bruv - Probably going to be said aggressively by a pale, skinny, greasy youth in a tracksuit who's going to come and nick a tenner off you. Not a term of endearment :P

We have something called Cockney rhyming slang where people say things like this:

Apples and pears - Stairs
    Twist and shouts - Sprouts
    Hank Marvin - Starving
    Orange peel - Feel
    Would you Adam and Eve it - Would you believe it?

What Guys Said 15

• "u wot m8?"

• "I banged yer mom" Chav slang here -_-

• Tosser and wanker are the same thing - someone who masturbates (insult)
    Knob jockey - someone who rides penises (insult)
    It's gone tits up - it hasn't gone very well
    The dogs bollocks - really good
    Donkeys years - a really long time
    Im easy - i dont care
    Hard lines - unlucky

There are also loads here

http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml

• Cheerio haha! I love y'all slang! haha

• Also there's cockney rhyming slang where they get a word that rhyms and they say that instead with another word.

(the next is copy and pasted)
      "There are lots of words that make up cockney rhyming slang. These are basically rhyming words like "butchers hook" which means "look". If you are in London and you hear someone talk about a Septic they are probably talking about you - because it's short for "Septic tank" which equals "yank", which is our word for an American. How do you like that!"

• All I know is wanker and twat from listening to that UK Grime

• I was always fond of how they give a bald guy the nickname 'Ali'.

• I always loved 'bollocks'

• "What you sayin?" (What's going on)

• Dog's bollocks = the best

• Cunt is more of a generic curseword over their and is applied to both men and women
    Why do you ask.
    Also fuck the queen

• OH WHAT! DO I SENSE A REBEL AMONG THE APPLE QUEEDOM!

• I don't believe in watching or care much for the news! hahaha Yeah I got start reading the news or something!

• Also whats with this queen thing and all these hashtags,
      You are the only one using them and this queen thing is getting creepy, what do you rule.
      And I assume you aren't an inbred freak like you find in offices or royalty

• My name is Bond, James Bond. 😎
    Vodka Martini, shaken... not stirred. ;)

• YES! I thought you were going to stop with the Hashtags. Now I know your hashtags are still alive and now I know what you look like, good stuff! You made my morning... LOL.

• WHOA! HELLO THERE! Someone woke-up sunny side up! ahhaha

• Hahaha yeah, I don't usually wake up grumpy. I'm your favorite guy in the morning.

• Bloedy Hell.

• i like how they use terms like "whilst", "whom", etc. it sounds so posh.

• We really don't use this in everyday conversation. Very few people in the UK speak RP and most of us have regional accents. I find it amusing that Americans seem to think that everyone in the UK sounds like a privately educated toff, when only 7 percent of the population have that kind of accent.

• @abacaxi84 I don't know... i say "i couldn't care less", but it doesn't roll off the tongue as well. i guess it's the same reason why we say shit like "i ain't seen nobody do nothing (nuttin') to nobody"... that's a bit of an extreme example, but it's pretty commonplace to use double, triple or even quadruple (i'll throw in quintuple, too) negatives in the place of a single negative. it's not grammatically correct, obviously, but you kinda get the point across if you take it for what it is.

• You'll get Essex boys saying "I didn't do nothing" but pronounced "nuffink", so there's plenty of double negatives used here, too.

• I use wanker and tosser a lot, but those a naturally inherited in Australia.

• what does tosser mean?

• bugger (n.)
      "sodomite," 1550s, earlier "heretic" (mid-14c.), from Medieval Latin Bulgarus "a Bulgarian" (see Bulgaria), so called from bigoted notions of the sex lives of Eastern Orthodox Christians or of the sect of heretics that was prominent there 11c. Compare Old French bougre "Bulgarian," also "heretic; sodomite." Softened secondary sense of "fellow, chap," is in British English from mid-19c. Related: Buggerly.
      www.etymonline.com/index.php

• A bit about Eastern Orthodox Christians , but mainly about Bulgarian https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogomilism

• Mardy bum - someone who seems unhappy about a situation and complains a lot

What Girls Said 4