Can you drive stick?

I'm so glad I learned and own a standard

seriously how can anyone drive an automatic? you literally just sit there an don't do shit how Fukin boring

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Why, did you need a big stick to compensate for your own lack of one?

What Girls Said 15

• I can't drive anything 😶

• nah i can't and i don't wanna lol.
    i like auto okay? u got a problem?

• My first car was a geo prism, it was a manual transmission. I was 15

• I tired before with my dad!

• "Can't drive stick" was an instant disqualifier for boys, for me.

• I can drive manual. But it is really tiring especially in traffic.

• Yeah I can, it gets annoying when u are stuck in traffic tho

• Nope not going to lie

• Yes, I can. The first car I learned to drive was a manual transmission one.

• Yeah when I first learned to drive my mom taught me to drive stick

• Yes I can. I drive both.

• You bet I can. It's what I learned to drive with.

• I have only ever driven stick but I know how to drive auto

• Yes I can! My parents made me learn on a standard before I could drive an automatic. Now that's basically all I drive and I love it

• I only practiced it once a long time ago, so I'm not comfortable with it. I drive automatic.

What Guys Said 26

• I can drive a manual. I've even driven vehicles with a double clutch. You have to clutch twice to shift - once to pull it out of gear, then let the engine speed up or slow down until it reaches sync speed, then clutch again to put it in gear.

I prefer an automatic. Having "fun" with manuals is for irresponsible kids who shouldn't even be on the road.

• gtfo with your bullshit

• how is driving a standard irresponsible? in fact it oozes maturity and responsibility because it shows that I took the time to teach myself a new skill. not my fault those morons drive in a idiotic way

• I didn't say driving a manual was irresponsible. I said driving it for "fun" was irresponsible. Driving is too dangerous to do it for fun. I mean sure, if it's out in the middle of nowhere, with nobody else in the car, and nothing but corn fields, then go for it and put the pedal to the metal. But 99% of driving is not under those circumstances.

• Yes. I know there's a huge "war" between Europeans and Americans about manuals and automatics, but I personally don't care if a person can or cannot drive stick. What annoys me is how easy it is for people, in some countries where the standard is automatics, to get a licence without having a fucking clue what they're doing or with very limited experience.

Learning to drive a manual has one major benefit - since it takes longer to learn, you spend more time with an instructor on the road (A qualified instructor, not just your dad), thus gaining more experience in general driving (not just a manual), you get more used to the laws and signs, and how irresponsibly some people drive. You learn to predict bad driver behavior and to anticipate circumstances, just because you spend more time and gain more experience while under the MANDATORY supervision of an adult, who also usually has pedals on his side of the car.

• 'Driving stick', actually trumps 'bangs' and 'go figure' as one of the most irritating hallmarks of unconscious Americanisation and corruption of the English language.

I can actually drive a car, that is to say, yes I drive a manual. I agree with @ivaneca , having 'push pedal down, car go forward' is similar in kind to putting a gun in a child's hands.

• I wrote it like that because more people know what "driving stick" means than "driving a standard car" so I got more answers this way

• Lol I don't really enjoy driving a stick since it's kind of a pain to do, since I don't do it enough to be really fluent at it but I can indeed drive with one if I have to, I prefer auto though.

I would note that it is good to know how to be able to drive with either one in case of an emergency.

• As car mechanic and sports car enthusiast I can tell you both types of transmission have their pros and contras.
    With a manual transmission you have more control over your car which is especially nice if you like to drive faster and do the occasional burn out on a red light.
    On the other hand a manual transmission is a "wear and tear" part - you have a friction material that degrades from use over years and it is not cheap to replace. If you're not using your clutch and gears properly you even have to change it more often.
    A automatic transmission is more nice to drive when you are a lot in traffic because you don't have to shift all the time when you have "stop-and-go"-situations in front of you. The automatic transmission "transfers" the power of your engine over oil (simplified) to the wheels - it does not have to be replaced. Also, a car engine produces typical vibrations that need special transmission parts to remove them elseways your car would shake and make weird noises all the time - the manual transmission needs extra parts to remove those vibrations where the vibrations in a automatic transmission just get absorbed by the oil. More parts in the manual transmission equals more "wear and tear"- parts that cost more in development/producing as well as could possibly get damaged after use.

• I can and have driven both. I prefer the auto.

• I have learned to drive manual transmission before, but it's just not conducive to where I live (southern California).

And even if that weren't true, I'd still prefer my automatic.

• I prefer an automatic in my personal vehicles. I drive mostly Freightliners and Internationals with 10 speeds at work. I really hate manual transmission cars; The synchros make anyone think they're good at shifting. I prefer heavy duty truck transmissions because they're non synchronized, and it takes real skill to drive one.

• I has always amused me how difficult it is for people to switch from one to the other

• No but I could easily teach myself its not rocket science plus now these days i am sure there is a youtube walkthrough for it lol.

• Most cars in the UK are manual and most people take manual lessons. On a manual licence, I can drive manuals or autos, but on an auto licence, I'd only be able to drive autos. I've only ever owned manual cars.

• Sorry, manual is what we call cars with a gear stick, in case people didn't know the lingo :p

• @Redstang88 Yes, but manual lets you drive both. It's to stop people passing the easier auto licence then getting in a manual and being like wtf :D then stalling it constantly for the first few drives like most people do on their first few manual lessons! It makes sense to me, but I suppose it could seem strange if it's not something you're used to.

• I suppose it makes sense, here you just get a license and its up to you to learn to drive standard.

• Yeah, most of my vehicles are standard. I like automatic for a daily driver, but for a cruiser or a tow rig I prefer stick.

• It's a drag to drive a stick shift in stop-and-go traffic and as time goes on, more and more people all over the world are stuck in jams. The solution is self-driving cars.

• I drive stick.

• Can't drive because of age but I'd probably get a manual license since then if it's a shirt distance id do manual if I'm tired I would do auto

• Automatic is for Lazy people!
    There I said it!

• The first car I learned to drive was a manual.

• I've never driven anything else. Automatic is not common here.

• no i never had a need to

• automatic is a blessing in LA traffic. yes i can drive a manual gearbox, and ride a motorcycle.

• Auto is for lazy people that wanna fall asleep behind the wheel crash and die

• In our country most people drive with a stick.

• I can't Drive at all

• yes, i can. and better than you.

• I can drive my stick. Not going to test yours.

• Ya I'm licenced to drive anything that can be drivin on the road