Can you like someone without respecting them?

Is that possible

Most Helpful Guy

• yeah, that's how people get taken advantage of.

• But that's not liking that's lust

• i don't think you know what lust means... also, you can like someone cause they let you walk all over them, hence why you don't respect them.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sure... I have a friend who I like very much. She is so much fun! We laugh, we talk, we shop, we reminisce about old times and share the events of our lives together. She is always there for me. But she is also a serious alcoholic who won't admit she has a problem or get help. She has never held a job. She shows up drunk at her kids birthday parties. She stops talking to anyone in her family who confronts her about her problem. So I like her very much, I love her very much; I just don't respect her. Respect is something you have to earn in my book, and she hasn't got there yet. Maybe she never will. But I love her anyway.

What Guys Said 9

• It's borderline impossible. I can't think of one example where respect was lost for someone and we continued on good terms.

Respect is very important, because the company you keep is a reflection of your own values and judgement.

• I would find it hard unless maybe I thought they were capable of changing

• Of course... And vice versa..

• No if you don't respect them then you can't possibly like them. it just doesn't make sense, it's almost an oxymoron.

• Sure. I meet quite a few guys I like at a personal level but I don't respect them since they treat women they're dating like crap. I guess you could have the same of the opposite sex.

• Only when you don't want to admit you like them.

• Yea, of course. If you have ever punished someone your are doing this.

• Not really, no. Actually no.. The best I can do is some sort of pity.

• I personally can't. Respect is all about character, if there is something in their character that means I don't respect them it means I won't like them as a person either.

What Girls Said 9

• Yes, because you don't have the skills. For example, someone who has no empathy skills because he was not given much empathy growing up will not acknowledge your feelings. Or someone who has social anxiety disorder, will yell at you accusing you of hating them...

• Of course. I have enjoyed the company of girls who blatantly said they are man stealing whores because they were nice to me and fun. I wasn't close to them but when we encountered each other it wasn't unpleasant.

• Well, of course you can.

Some people just have charisma. You like them instantly, because... because, well, that's what charisma means.

If you respect people instantly, you're an idiot.

• Yes. Definitely. Their energy and appearance may be pleasant, but who they are deep down may be untrustworthy and shady. Good question! :)

• not for me, no.

• I think so. A friend of mine is doing drugs, and generally not very smart. I don't respect him, but I like him as a friend.

• Sure. There are some men I think are pushovers, but I like (amicably) their personalities, therefore I like them (amicably) as a person.

• Not that I know of cos to me, if I like someone, it automatically means that I also respect them.

• Of course. i can even hate, but if that person really successful that can make me envy about him/her, i can respect